Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
When do your urgency symptoms usually start? When you first get out of bed and start moving around or after you eat breakfast? Mine usually atarts the minute I get out of bed and lasts all day sometimes even when I have BMS. Does straining usually set off urgency too?

·
Registered
722 Posts
My symptoms start before i get out of bed,always get pain and usually feeling of needing to move bowels,i strain on the toilet all the time and no sort of medicine has helped,i have damaged my rectum because of this.I do at times feel as if i urgently need to go even after i have strained and got up from the toilet,and i need to run back to toilet again.My IBS symptoms are with me 24/7,not very pleasant at all!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Urgency is common in IBS.About 70% or so of IBSers have rectal hypersensitivity in clinical studies when they look for that. One of the sensations/signals the rectum sends up to the head is the "gotta go" signal and if it does that too easily you can have a lot of inappropriate urgency.For people who strain a lot even when the stool should be easy to pass (isn't hard and dry) may want to talk about getting the pelvic floor tested. Some people tense when they should relax and that makes them strain way more than they should have to.The colon tends to be less active when we sleep and around the time we get up (or around dawnish even if you want to sleep a lot later than that) the colon has a burst of activity. The biggest burst of the day is in the morning. You have smaller bursts after each meal (gastrocolic reflex).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts