Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an acronym for IBS urgency? Not so much diarrhea, just the urgent need to go to the bathroom. (like all the time) Where you feel like there is no way to hold it in and you gotta go NOW!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen. Is there something out there that can combat the hypersensitivity? Or is that treated in the same manner one would treat diarrhea? Basically what I am after is something to take that feeling away or at least numb it enough that I can get on with my day.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes the low dose antidepressants (particularly the tricyclics which are good for those with diarrhea as they tend to be constipating) can calm down that part of the nervous system as well as reduce the pain.When I did CBT for my IBS (Cog. Behav. Therapy) I did find that helped a lot with the urgency. They did a manometry test before and after treatment as part of that study and there were parts I couldn't complete before that really weren't that bad afterward. So mind body stuff, IMO, can also help.Imodium does tend to help increase tone (makes it easier to hold it) but I don't know if that really effects the sensation of needing to go. Being able to hold it better isn't much help if you are still really uncomfortably feeling you need to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Kathleen, your knowledge is much appreciated. I went and got myself some citalopram 20mg. one a day. The Dr. said this will help with the anxious feelings with a possible constipating side effect. I am not sure what a low or high dosage is, but she seemed to think that with this drug, more isn't always better. It is worth a shot at any rate.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
20 is the usual start dose for that drug. For depression they may go as high as 80 mgs to get benefit. The spread for that drug isn't as high as for some of the tricyclics (where 10-75 mgs is where they usually treat IBS or pain and 100 on up is what it takes before you see benefit for depression).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.