Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got myself into a mess by restricting my diet for several months to a bland diet. In the end this caused bad constipation.I have a dietician and she advised me to add in oats, which i did several weeks ago. This worked wonders!!However, since then, everything that she advises me to try either triggers an attack (eg: bananas) or I am now too scared to try!She asked me to take a multivitamin and I did, but then after 3 days, the iron caused bad constipation again, which triggered an attack.Please can anyone advise me on a multivitamin without iron that is safe and also a good probioticI live in the UK so please can you help?????Thanks, I am getting so depressed cos my diet is so bad and that isn't helping me at all.Jane xx

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know brands, but if you look for a multivitamin for men or one for older women those often don't have iron in them. Most of the other slight changes in levels shouldn't be a problem.http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&amp...ved=0CCMQrQQwAw seems to list several in the UK. I'm not sure which probiotics a available, but I know there are several, and you may need to try a couple to find the one that works for you.Sometimes Calcium in these things can be constipating as well, and they usually balance that with some magnesium in the multi formulas. If they still bother you try adding a bit more magnesium in a separate supplement and see if that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont want to come accross as trying to be funny or rude but a good feed of Curley Kale cabbage as a veg with your dinner wud fairly clean you out, i also find raw garlic chopped on top of dinner helps too but it can also bloat a little, try the curley kale, the leaves are very stakey so dont us the middle vein, run a knife along it and the rest is softer, boil some bacon with it for flavour, it is serious stuff your deposits the next day or so will be a dark colour from it.i know you probably wanted a more medical answer but even my 97 yr old grandmother comments on the effect curley kale has

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kathleen for the reply - I will look these out!You seem to have such a wealth of knowledge about IBS and I just feel so lost and confused about everything at the moment!One of my worst symptoms that seems to happen when I am constipated or my colon is irritated is that I pass mucous on it's own all the time (with wind) and it's really worrying me. I know that mucous with stools is common, but is it also normal just to pass this on its own. Sometimes this happens for a couple of days when things aren't too good.Thanks for caringJane x

·
Registered
88 Posts
What has really helped me is drinking a lot more water - not flavoured or with anything added to (tea, coffee, squash, juice, coke, alcohol etc., are all dehydrating, as are sugar and carbohydrates in general), but good honest 'Adam's Ale'. I drink 7 to 8 x 8oz. glasses a day and take a few pinches of salt (about quarter of a teaspoon overall of real unrefined sea or rock salt, not the table salt rubbish which is devoid of anything other than sodium chloride and is bleached and refined) on my food, or on my tongue to keep my electrolyte levels up and to supply the 80-odd mineral and trace elements that are found in it.I hadn't realised just how dehydrated I am - underlying, not immediate. If there is not enough fluid in the body for it to call on to make the different substances needed for digestion and other processes then it will impact sooner or later (and definitely on the colon!).I knew I never really drank enough, and I certainly never drank water - it made me more thirsty! But now I have realised that was because my body was desperate for the stuff! It was begging me for it and I was ignoring the symptoms.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello JaneI also have a lot of flatulence and i do pass mucous on its own.I was told by my GP that,that is part of my IBS also.Lovely isn't it!! Take care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi DianeHow do you cope with it? Is it just on the odd occasion or when your guts are playing up. I find it so hard to cope with cos at work, I have to rush to the loo every time I feel like passing wind, just in case!!I see that you live in beautiful south Wales - I am in Leeds...not so beautiful!My private email is [email protected] anf I would really appreciate a friend and some communicationThanksJane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts