Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well i've been diagnosed with IBS since i was 16 but i've had it since i was 10 (i'm 17 now). I've always controlled it with diet as i haven't found anything that has helped calm down all of my symptoms, so i'm basically on a very basic diet with the occasion chocolate thrown in.Well here's my problem, the last three times i've had potatoes they've severely upset me - now i've never had any problems with potatoes in the past, infact potatoes up until now have been part of my 'safety' dinner; a dinner of potatoes, a vegetable or two, and a meat, that i've been safe on to go out afterwards, so you'll know my surprise now that it seems i can't eat them. My question is, is it possible to just become intolerant to something overnight like i seem to have? It has happened before to me in the past with white bread/pasta, and white flour (in cakes), but i've just accepted that as my body changing. Now it's potatoes which really have nothing in them i'm beginning to wonder whether my spontaneous intolerances are actually normal, and if i can just suddenly become intolerant to something how soon is it likely to be that i can't eat brown bread (which i eat quite a bit of since i can't eat much else), or chocolate, or one of the few meats that i can actually keep down? I don't particularly want to go back to the hospital, but if gaining an intolerance is not normal then i might well consider it. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Some people have a predisposition to gaining intolerance to foods they eat too often. AKA, safe foods. It's annoying as hell as it seems the rules are always changing.With me it changes, e.g. salmon was a really safe food for a while, then all the sudden I got real sick every time I ate it. I gave it a break for a few months and now I am fine with eating it again. This has happened with me with a lot of foods.So now I just try to keep the diet balanced. I find that works best. There are the few foods I avoid, cream cheese, blue cheese, beef that's not ground, anything really spicy, but beyond that I mix things up. Still have my favorites like Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream and mashed potatoes, I just don't go to the well as much as I used to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.