Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started having urgent, loose bowel movements nearly immediatly after I eat. It first started several months back when I would eat out somewhere. I figured it was possibly greasy foods. I have started taking Lactaid because I cannot digest dairy products. That stopped my immediate movements for about a month. Now they have started again, and they seem to happen almost whenever I eat *whether at home or out*. I still take the Lactaid, so I know that is not the problem. It occurs with foods that aren't even dairy products at all. Could you please help me? I'm not quite sure what to do. It is nearly ruining my life - I cannot take my girlfriend out without ruining the evening because of having to run to the bathroom immediatly thereafter. Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same problem with me. I used to think it was only fatty and greasy foods or dairy products, but then I started reacting the same way to just about everything else. I've been doing better recently by eating only easily digestible foods, such as white flour breads, pasta and lean chicken or fish. It's mostly a matter of testing out what foods you do or don't react to. Also big portions of food whack my stomach, so I try to nibble throughout the day. I still get flare-ups, but nowhere as severe as I used to. And I'm still somewhat of a newbie to all this myself. The annoying thing is that there's not one thing that works for everybody.

G

·
I have had that problem for years, smaller meals help, but sometimes nothing helps. It can be very annoying, everyone is eating and I have to get up and run to the toilet. If I am going out to eat I take a immodium before leaving the house and that seems to be the most helpful.Char

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Board!
Can't say I have the answer you need, but I can tell you some of the things that have helped me. From the posts on this board, it seems that each person has a unique way of coping with his/her symptoms.High fiber, low fat foods/meals are best for me. I also had alot of acid stomach, which is less when I do not eat acidic foods. I don't eat oranges or drink orange juice, and I am careful about when and where I eat anything with tomatoes in it! I really like Italian food, so I've had to develop other tastes that don't have tomato sauces. I can sometimes handle a couple of pieces of pizza, but I try that only at home. I can handle a slice or two of tomatoes on a sandwich, but not much else.I also keep two meds handy: lomotil (for D) and librax (for muscle cramps). I've gotten to where I can tell when my stomach is "jumping" and if I'm going out or to work, I take 1 (generic) librax. It calms my stomach (and probably my intestines), and the D doesn't hit as quickly or as hard. Lately, I've increased the total daily fiber, and that seems to have put me on a more predictable "schedule." Most days I take two fiber tabs in the morning, and I've started using prepared drinks with high fiber (like Slim-fast) for breakfast. I've always had problems eating breakfast, but this seems to work. I add about 3 oz of fat-free Lactaid to the drink. It is filling (to me), and has a fiber content of 5 grams, I think. I prefer whole wheat bread, which also has more fiber than white bread, and I use a butter substitute instead of margarine or real butter.High fiber seems to offset some of the fat content, I think. Don't know if that's true for everyone. but it seems that if the fiber content is higher (in grams) than the total fat content (in grams), I can tolerate the food or meal more easily.Stress tends to make the symptoms increase. Sometimes I cope OK, and other times, I don't. It's a learning process.About your dating problem, how well do you know this girl, and how long have you known her? If it fits the sitaution (depending on your age and circumstances), you might plan a private meal at your home or apartment, followed by something else that doesn't involve eating. If you have med for "nerves" (stomach or intestine cramps), you might try taking 1/2 does at least 30 minutes before you eat, especially when you sense the tension mounting within you. By planning ahead (what you eat during the day of the date, and what you eat while on the date), you may be able to minimize your physical reactions to the food. If the girl is really trustworthy, and you know she won't talk to others, you might even tell her you have a "digestive problem" (a term I use at work to explain my frequent trips to the RR). I've also used the term "nervous stomach" to explain why I don't eat certain foods.If this girl is mature enough, you may find that she is very understanding about your situation. (If she doesn't at least try to understand, you may need to find another girlfriend!) Your best friends will accept you as you are, "warts" and all. I have one friend who knows my situation, and helps "cover" for me when we are in a group, especially if we are going out to eat. It helps to have someone who knows you don't want to go to a certain kind of restaurant, and tries to steer the group decision without explaining why.Hope some of this helps, and that others respond with helpful hints. I did not have D so early in life that it interferred with relationships, so my experience is limited in that area.Best wishes!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you been to see a doctor yet? That is how my IBS started too. I am still that way sometimes but I have done much better since starting Calcium twice a day with meals and eating a high fiber cereal (Go Lean or Kashi Good Friends Cinnamon cereal) each morning. Also, eat very slowly. I seem to do better if I dawdle over my food.If I am going to be out eating with more than just family, I take 1/2 of an Imodium and that seems to keep me under control.Take care, I know it is so hard.Jleigh

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found the answer to this in a book called 25 Natural Ways to Relieve IBS by James Scala. Food moves through your intestines via peristaltic motion, which is a contracting and releasing that inches the food along, without getting too technical. Caffeine, for some people, causes peristalsis (and for me triggers diarrhea!). In other people, again like me, having food just enter your body makes this peristaltic motion start up after being "still" for a while. It can be embarrassing to have to excuse yourself in the middle of a nice meal. By the way, the book that I mentioned is worth picking up...it really did not change my life because I was well on my way to managing my IBS before I received the book, but it DOES do an amazing job is explaining exactly why my body does the things it does!! I loaned it to a good friend who was diagnosed with IBS last year, and she really appreciated it. Funny but true: she told her husband "I can't believe I'm reading a book about poop!"We are so fortunate to have this bulletin board; you are a wonderful group of caring, helpful people. We are not alone!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In EVERY person the colon becomes more active after you eat. Some people with IBS over-respond to this normal pattern and have a BM rather than just move things along.Basically it is kinda like going back to being a baby. They almost always poop right after they eat. This is common in young animals. If you train a puppy you always take it out shortly after it eats so you can praise it for pooping in the right place.Taking an antispasmodic or a dose of Immodium 20-20 minutes before eating can for some people blunt this response. With the Imodium you would need to find a dose that doesn't constipated you, as you can take too much of it (using the liquid you can make fine adjustments in dose)K.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
CHRIS: ________________________________________"I have recently started having urgent, loose bowel movements nearly immediatly after I eat. " ________________________________________When any change in bowel habits or behavior occurs, and perists, before you do anything you must have your doctor evaluate the symptoms. If she cannot find anything and the symptoms still persists then next step is to be evaluated by a GI doc. Please do so as there are very treatable and reversible possibilitieis for the sudden onset of these symptoms that can only be assessed with proper differential diagnosis.Thanks in advance for taking the advice if you already did!
MNL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.