Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a topic started on frequent urination but not on painful ones. I too always feel like I need to go and nine times out of ten, I do go. I am ALWAYS thirsty, I mean, even after close to 2 gallons of water a day. But my problem lies in holding "it" when I can't get to the bathroom quick enough. The urge comes on quickly and if I don't go immediately, my lower stomach/ pelvic region distends and is severely tender to the touch. My waist band gets really tight and its hard to breath. My husband and I travel a lot and last week were on the road when I had to go. I ended up having to hold it for 40 minutes until we found a bathroom. I was in tears and couldn't hardly get out of the car because of the pain. I took my husbands hand and put it on my stomach. It felt like a tether ball under my skin. Then after I went (like Niagra Falls) I made him feel again and it was back to the slightly bloated-fairly flat stomach that it always is! He was freaked out! Anyone else have this problem?I don't know if it is caused my the colon getting irritated from the full bladder or if that makes even any sense. It's just something I haven't always had and no one else (that I've read) has mentioned anything like it.peanuttface

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would go to a doctor and tell him your symptoms. You should be checked for diabetes, since the urge to drink and urinate frequently is one symptom.Even if it isn't anything serious, it's still good to get examined.Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would go to a doctor and tell him your symptoms. You should be checked for diabetes, since the urge to drink and urinate frequently is one symptom.Even if it isn't anything serious, it's still good to get examined.Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am making a new dr. appointment for some tests. What I'm wondering is if you have to be tested specifically for Diabetes? Is it tested through blood sugar testing or what? I read an article once on high blood sugar and I had 3/4 of the symptoms. Unfortunately so do a lot of the other people on this site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am making a new dr. appointment for some tests. What I'm wondering is if you have to be tested specifically for Diabetes? Is it tested through blood sugar testing or what? I read an article once on high blood sugar and I had 3/4 of the symptoms. Unfortunately so do a lot of the other people on this site.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A simple blood test can tell your doctor a lot of things. All they need to check your blood sugar level is a little drop of blood from a finger prick. To test for diabetes, a glucose tolerance test is performed. You start with a fasting blood and urine sugar level, then drink a small bottle of some really sweet stuff. Then your blood and urine is taken at regular intervals to test how your body is dealing with the sugar you drank.Untreated diabetics urinate a lot because their body tries to flush out the extra glucose in their system through the urine. By testing your urine and blood sugar when you go in, the doctor can be alerted if your sugar levels are very high. It will vary with eating, but if you have diabetes, your sugar will probably be high whenever it is taken.If I had to go and held it in for 40 minutes in the car, I'd be in pain by the time I got to a restroom too.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A simple blood test can tell your doctor a lot of things. All they need to check your blood sugar level is a little drop of blood from a finger prick. To test for diabetes, a glucose tolerance test is performed. You start with a fasting blood and urine sugar level, then drink a small bottle of some really sweet stuff. Then your blood and urine is taken at regular intervals to test how your body is dealing with the sugar you drank.Untreated diabetics urinate a lot because their body tries to flush out the extra glucose in their system through the urine. By testing your urine and blood sugar when you go in, the doctor can be alerted if your sugar levels are very high. It will vary with eating, but if you have diabetes, your sugar will probably be high whenever it is taken.If I had to go and held it in for 40 minutes in the car, I'd be in pain by the time I got to a restroom too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This scares me, because I find that I am always thirsty too!! And I have to, ummmmm, tinkle (is that a nice enough word?? LOL
) a LOT. I stop drinking anything about 2 hours before bed, and I still have to get up at least 5 times during the night. It's so frustrating too, because I feel like I never get a good night's sleep
For the diabetes test, does the stuff they give you to drink taste bad?? (I'm scared to drink anything a doctor gives me after tasting the drink for the colonoscopy prep, LOL!!) And how long after the test until they can tell you if you are diabetic or not??

·
Registered
568 Posts
This scares me, because I find that I am always thirsty too!! And I have to, ummmmm, tinkle (is that a nice enough word?? LOL
) a LOT. I stop drinking anything about 2 hours before bed, and I still have to get up at least 5 times during the night. It's so frustrating too, because I feel like I never get a good night's sleep
For the diabetes test, does the stuff they give you to drink taste bad?? (I'm scared to drink anything a doctor gives me after tasting the drink for the colonoscopy prep, LOL!!) And how long after the test until they can tell you if you are diabetic or not??

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
AMcCall, the stuff you drink is basically super-sugary soda pop. Sometimes they let you choose, I think. But mine was orange. It's so sweet it's almost too much, but it's only 8 or 10 ounces, and since I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for 12 hours or so, it was no problem for me to drink it down.The sugar rush made my body overreact and try to flush out the sugar...I'm often hypoglycemic (low sugar) because my body does this. I also just tend to get low and am more sensitive to it than some might be.Well, during that test, I had to pee so bad. They let me go a little early for the first pee in a cup, because I had to go so bad. And uh let's just say I would have overflowed the cup had I not moved it. There were little markings on the cups, for quantity, and after peeing in the cup several times, I can tell you without a doubt I expelled more liquid than I took in. That only reinforced how important it is for me to drink water not sugary stuff when I'm fighting dehydration on a hot day, because sugary drinks can only make it worse.I forget how long it took to get results. Probably depends on where you get it done and where their lab is. The results from a finger prick blood sugar test are immediate. They can tell if your sugar is high or low right away. Often there are free screenings for this at grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
AMcCall, the stuff you drink is basically super-sugary soda pop. Sometimes they let you choose, I think. But mine was orange. It's so sweet it's almost too much, but it's only 8 or 10 ounces, and since I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for 12 hours or so, it was no problem for me to drink it down.The sugar rush made my body overreact and try to flush out the sugar...I'm often hypoglycemic (low sugar) because my body does this. I also just tend to get low and am more sensitive to it than some might be.Well, during that test, I had to pee so bad. They let me go a little early for the first pee in a cup, because I had to go so bad. And uh let's just say I would have overflowed the cup had I not moved it. There were little markings on the cups, for quantity, and after peeing in the cup several times, I can tell you without a doubt I expelled more liquid than I took in. That only reinforced how important it is for me to drink water not sugary stuff when I'm fighting dehydration on a hot day, because sugary drinks can only make it worse.I forget how long it took to get results. Probably depends on where you get it done and where their lab is. The results from a finger prick blood sugar test are immediate. They can tell if your sugar is high or low right away. Often there are free screenings for this at grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have this same issue with my abdomen hurting when I hold the tinkling off too long. It's like the IBS and urination are somehow related. I came-up negative for IBS.Those of you who are familiar with my posts know that I don't consume anything with high fructose corn syrup (ESPECIALLY not those sugary beverages) and this strict avoidance has helped with the severity and frequency of these very symptoms.I will not drink them in house, I will not drink them with a mouse...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have this same issue with my abdomen hurting when I hold the tinkling off too long. It's like the IBS and urination are somehow related. I came-up negative for IBS.Those of you who are familiar with my posts know that I don't consume anything with high fructose corn syrup (ESPECIALLY not those sugary beverages) and this strict avoidance has helped with the severity and frequency of these very symptoms.I will not drink them in house, I will not drink them with a mouse...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
peanut (pee-nut?! sorry!) -Oh yes, I had symptoms just like yours, to the point that I was afraid to even leave the house. Why don't you go in for a urinalysis to check for bacteria (as well as sugar)? Irritable bladder can indirectly be associated with IBS, it seems. However, bacteria could be present as well. (Eventually, bacteria was found in my urinary tract - long story.)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
peanut (pee-nut?! sorry!) -Oh yes, I had symptoms just like yours, to the point that I was afraid to even leave the house. Why don't you go in for a urinalysis to check for bacteria (as well as sugar)? Irritable bladder can indirectly be associated with IBS, it seems. However, bacteria could be present as well. (Eventually, bacteria was found in my urinary tract - long story.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, peanut. I notice when I wake up if I want to wee badly, I get cramps and real discomfort in my colon. I also have an irritable bladder, with not the same symptoms. With me, waistbands cause me a problem, and make me want to wee a lot, eventually leading to cyctitis symptoms, although I always test clear for infection. I can't wear tights either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, peanut. I notice when I wake up if I want to wee badly, I get cramps and real discomfort in my colon. I also have an irritable bladder, with not the same symptoms. With me, waistbands cause me a problem, and make me want to wee a lot, eventually leading to cyctitis symptoms, although I always test clear for infection. I can't wear tights either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can relate. I went skiing one weekend with friends, woke up early in the AM - didn't have a good BM (I'm C type) and then went skiing. By the end of the day I was really dehydrated and gassy so I drank a lot of water. Then on the car ride home I experienced exactly what happened to you. I was almost crying when I made the driver stop about 5 minutes away from my house (I wasn't going to make it to the house I was in so much pain). I could barely walk. Then I peed, forever, and felt 100% better.This doesn't happen anymore for me. I believe my problem was that I was getting a lot of gas from taking fiber suppliments (i.e. Metamucil) which were also causing me to need a lot more water. Then the gas and C were taking up so much space in my stomache that my bladder was really small and so I had to pee all the time. Since I've stopped taking fiber suppliments (now I take magnesium instead) this doesn't happen anymore. I also learned not to drink so much before a long car ride!If your worried about diabetes, get checked. But if your taking a fiber suppliment and you have a lot of gas, this could be the reason too.Linda

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.