1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...if there is any.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:Although Pete was Pimentel's patient for a while.
I didn't know that.A little bit shy member.Anyway,the problem seems to be the unavailability of Raximinin(sp?) even Neomycin seems rare.I still wait from the pharmacist to confirm the status of these drugs up here.I'm not necessarly interested in the other meds.Remember that a Canadian doc cannot prescibe US drug.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is this kit?

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok:
quote: The present invention also relates to a kit for the diagnosis and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, ADHD, an autoimmune disease, or Crohn's disease. The kit is a ready assemblage of materials for facilitating the detection and at least partial eradication of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. The kit includes at least one, and most preferably multiple, air-tight breath sampling container(s), such as a bag, cylinder, or bottle, and at least one pre-measured amount of a substrate, such as lactulose (e.g., 10-20 g units) or glucose (e.g., 75-80 g units), for measuring breath hydrogen and/or methane before and/or after a treatment to at least partially eradicate SIBO. Alternatively, the kit contains pre-measured amount(s) of isotope-labeled substrate as described above. The present kit also contains instructions for a user in how to use the kit to effectively corroborate a suspected diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, ADHD, an autoimmune disease, or Crohn's disease, in accordance with the present diagnostic method, and how to treat the underlying cause of any of these conditions by at least partially eradicating SIBO. Optionally, the kit also contains components useful for at least partially eradicating SIBO, for example, unitized amounts of an antimicrobial agent, such as neomycin, metronidazole, teicoplanin, doxycycline, tetracycline, ciprofloxacin, augmentin, cephalexin (e.g., Keflex), penicillin, ampicillin, kanamycin, rifamycin, rifaximin, or vancomycin, or a 4- or 5-aminosalicylate compound, and/or a probiotic agent, such as an inoculum of a species or strain of Bifidobacterium or Lactobacillus, or a prokinetic agent, such as a peptide or functional analog thereof, macrolide compound, a bile acid, a bile salt, a cholinergic compound, a dopamine antagonist, a nitric oxide altering agent, a 5-HT receptor antagonist, a neuroleptic agent, a kappa agonist, or an antihistamine except ranitidine, famotidine, or nizatidine. Any combination of these can be included in the kit. The kit optionally contains an anti-inflammatory cytokine or an agonist thereof, or an antagonist or antibody effective against a pro-inflammatory cytokine. The kit optionally contains an agent that modifies afferent neural feedback or sensory perception, as described above, for alleviating or improving hyperalgesia related to SIBO or associated with a disorder caused by SIBO, such as IBS, fibromyalgia, or Crohn's disease. The components assembled in the kits of the present invention are provided to the practitioner stored in any convenient and suitable way that preserves their operability and utility. For example the components can be in dissolved, dehydrated, or lyophilized form; they can be provided at room, refrigerated or frozen temperatures.
I don't know where to buy it.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Spas, I'm a lot further away from the States than you are, but I found an email address at the bottom of this extract by Borody (Australia) about getting info on Rifaximin prescription.Rifaximin:Another drug â€" Rifaximin, which is only available via the Italian manufacturer â€" has also proved successful in eradicating B.hominis, at least in the following study: In HIV-1 infected patients severe enteritis and chronic diarrhea are often documented as a consequence of multiple opportunistic infections. We analyzed 48 HIV-1 positive patients for the presence of intestinal pathogenic protozoa. Patients with CD4 > or = 200/mm3 showed a higher prevalence of a single pathogenic protozoa than patients with CD4 < or =200/mm3, who showed the presence of multiple protozoal infections. Patients who proved positive for only a single protozoa, Cryptosporidium or Blastocystis, were also positive, by stool culture, for the presence of Proteus mirabilis (3 samples), Citrobacter freundii (3 samples), Escherichia coli (one sample) or Enterobacter cloacae (one sample). Treatment with rifaximin (600 mg, 3 times a day, for 14 days) was efficacious in resolving the clinical symptoms and clearing protozoan infections in HIV-1 infected patients with CD4 > or = 200/mm3, who presented enteric and systemic symptoms due to Criptosporidium or Blastocystis associated with enteropathogenic bacteria. Intestinal protozoa in HIV-infected patients: effect of rifaximin in Cryptosporidium parvum and Blastocystis hominis infections. J Chemother 1999 Oct;11(5):391-5Amenta M, et al As most of the drug is not absorbed into the body it apparently has minimal side effects, which is good news for those who cannot tolerate Flagyl.The drug can be obtained from the following international pharmacy based in Germany.Please note â€" a doctor's prescription is a definite requirement!Metropolitan Pharmacy Flughafen, Zentralbereich85356 Muenchen Tel: ++49-89-97592954Fax: ++49-89-97592956email: info###metpharmacy.de

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Arnie that is good since Rixaminin is NOT available in Canada.As well as Neomycin who has been BANNED in the last years.
My local pharmacist just called me to explain me that.
I wonder if the customs will let it pass because of their status here.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
Hi Spasman, I asked Dr Pimentel about the kit and he said they don't have one now but he plans to have one in the future. And I called Dr Rao's clinic and they said while they do do the lactulose test, Dr Rao believes only in the glucose test. dr Rao himself was on vacation so I have emailed him to persuade him to do it. Dr Pimentel sid he is aware of Dr Rao's opinion and to get another doc to order it. So I am going to try to do that while I wait for Dr Rao's reply. I may not know till the 15th whether I will be able to get the test done. And then I wonder who is going to guide my doc for the treatment. I have asked Dr Pimentel if I can consult him by phone. I hope I can.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bonnei,can you send me hisnumber by e-mail since i called there and it's was a box?That's true if you are on antibiotics,you need 2 weeks of beeing-off of them.I have the papers from my G.I. lab.I also know that the Iowa U. has higher standarts.3 months seems a long time in my opinion.Geez if i knew you were contacting him i would asked for a doctor who follows his protocol near the frontier.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kit or not,i need a prescription AND eventually going in USA.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
This is Dr Rao's e-mail satish-rao###uiowa.edu . When I call him I call the main number at the hospital 3193561616 and ask them to transfer me to the Gastro clinic and go on from thereDr Pimentel's number is from your post in the gas forum 310-423-0880 and I ask them to transfer me to the main desk.His e-mail is Mark.pimentel###cshs.orgDr Pimentel wrote back to me and said that it would be unethical for him to treat me by phone since he hasn't seen me in person but he said he would be willing to guide my doc.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alrigth i have e-mailed him.I told him that if i cannot be seen in the north USA by his "friends MD",i will go see him personally.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
Good luck! Keep us updated. You have already done the lactulose test and the glucose test right? Be sure to ask them for the graph on the lactulose test or the all the readings that they took every 15 mins. So you can discuss it on this board and get flux's expert opinion. When is your appt with your canadian doc?

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i had both of these test with the Iowa diet standarts the day before.
15august PM.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes i will ask for the whole results.Thanks for the tips.

· Registered
583 Posts
Wow! bonniei you actually got to talk to Dr. Pimentel. It is encouraging that he is willing to guide your own doc. If we went to our own doc and just stated that some doc we heard on the net has successfully treated SIBO they would just shush us out of their office. But a research Doc guiding them to treat us is just wonderful. I'll try this route also.Spas. I hope we can also find the rifaximin (sp) here or at least some equivalent for it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.