Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During and IBS flare up, I often wear adult diapers or pull ups to help me cope. It makes life a lot easier, because I don't have to worry about getting embaressed or people knowing i've had an accident. Of course I try to make it to the toilet if im near one, and I do try to stay near them when im out and about in town or whatever.

Sometimes i'm not near a toilet though. For instance, last week. I decided to go for a walk near my house. I walked for about 40 minutes and was in quite a rural area by this point. I suddenly got the urge to go. Really painful cramps and stomach ache. I could have walked home in pain, feeling terrible, or I could get rid of the pain. I decided just to poo into my nappy (diaper) and enjoy myself. Rather than dealing with cramps and feeling sick. I felt much better, and I really don't think pooey nappies feel that bad. Yes it kinda sucks, but it's just warm and a bit squidgy. Better than violent cramps by any means.

I've done this a few times before. When i've been far from a toilet. It's just easier and less painful to do your business and deal with it later than to struggle.

I often find myself getting lazy and doing number 1s in my nappy too, even if im not (that) far from a toilet. If im more than a 10 minute walk away from a toilet then I will just wee in my nappy, if I have one on. Again, it's a relief to get rid of the annoying pain.

Should I feel ashamed that I take advantage of wearing nappies, or is it something anyone else has ever done?

It helps me out a lot but I do feel so guilty about it. It makes me feel stupid

·
Community Manager
13,198 Posts
just my two cents but oh no--i don't think you should feel guilty (or stupid) at all for doing this. if this helps you avoid the pain, then i think it's a good thing. cramps and pain are truly miserable.

Reactions: SomeoneWithIBS

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am female. What should I do to avoid infection?[/quote]
The reason females are more prone to UTIs is the way our anatomy is down below. Most UTIs are caused by the ecoli bacteria. It travels from the anus to the urethra, and its easier for us to get them. If you soil yourself you should remove the underwear or diaper and shower as soon as possible. If youre walking around with soiled underwear you have a greater chance of bacteria entering your urinary tract. Other ways to help prevent UTIs are to drink plenty of water, urinate right after sex, take showers instead of tub baths, and always wipe yourself from front to back. I also use wet wipes after I have a BM. They make you feel cleaner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Answer is NO absolutely not. You are being discreet about it when you have flare ups. I've had real accidents and other times I just get so sick and tired of always searching for a bathroom (and those damn cramps) - I just done it in my pants. Went to a store and bought pants, Towels, and sanitary napkins. I just tell people what happened and they are usually pretty understanding and let me use the bathroom to clean up, or I have also gone to a hotel and asked for a bathroom. I always am discreet with the clean-up and sometimes even apologize for Messing my pants. I think diapers are a good idea, But for me I just don't like the feel of them. This is good to wear diapers, even if being used out of convenience, or just a totally real I can't make it! Accident. Its all good either way. Please don't ever feel ashamed, guilty or embarrassed. Your friend, Paul Sar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always wear what is called DEPENDS that is supposed to be for urine problems but I wear them in case I have an accident of diarrhea.

Since I am a female the diarrhea goes into my vagina and the poop burns inside of me from the acid in the poop.

You need to be aware that by letting yourself urinate all the time in your diaper you may be causing a serious FUNGUS in your vagina and between your legs where the wetness reaches. You can get really sick from the fungus.

My advise is to stop that bad habit because it is not healthy habit. If you are out in the woods just take off your underwear and have a BM and urinate. Carry tissues in your bag to clean yourself. Plus, when you are around people we can smell your urine and your poop. I always clean myself with baby type of wipes to clean myself after urine and having a BM. I don't want to smell like urine or poop/BM. I hope you stop that bad habit just so you can stay healthy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also wear diapers for this reason as well. I totally get it; when that cramping and pressure comes on; the only way to relieve the stress is to let it all come out. It does feel so much better afterwards. I carry a diaper bag and change out as soon as I can. I have changed in the car many times since I don't want to walk back into a store with a diaper bag; and a trailing odor. The plastic covers seem to help with the odor though. I am a guy; so have not had any UTI issues. Is this why women do not wear diapers as much? As an engineer; I would like to develop a solution for women; such as creating a barrier device (like a guy naturally has) or even create an adhesive bandage type cover for the urethra opening to prevent a UTI. Has anyone already attempted this? I would be interested in attempting some prototypes if there was any interest. Would need someone that has this issue; able to take some measurements and create a custom prototype to see if the concept works. I know it sounds weird, and would take someone that isn't modest or shy; but perhaps this could be a patent-able device that could help many. If anyone has already tried or attempted anything; let us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dont think you should feel ashamed. However wearing soiled diapers can raise your risk of getting a UTI, especially if youre a female.
I am a male, and I worry about getting a UTI from that. So far I have not, but there are times when driving home, everything gets squished all up the front.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, it's always best to keep as clean as possible down below for health reasons. For an occasional accident it seems fair enough, but not to really get into it as a "thing" ....nope. Just for your own health and safety down there. Not because it;s anything to feel bad or crappy about emotionally.
I hear you though. I went for a 3 mile walk in a rural kind of place, but with some properties dotted about. I got cramps and "might need to do a bm" sensation halfway round the loop I was walking, even though I'd already been to the toilet that morning. Luckily I know the place like the back of my hand, and scoped out a few fields with thick hedges....just in case. There were a few on my route (not overlooked by properties of course!) So I could relax a bit more and could easily vault a field gate if it got worse.
I thought "if dogs can do this why not me? Poop in a field? Bring it on! Wipe with Dock leaves or bunches of grass?. Yes, if necessary!"
Well, weird thing....even knowing that seemed to help my gut. I just let out some gas, and kept going. Once the gas had passed, I was fine to get home. Guess what? When I got home the whole feeling went away, and nope I didn't need to poop again. It did sort of mess up my walk though but was a bit of a one-off situation and on my next walk there, it didn't happen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts