Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you mean using someone elses enema can? It is not a good idea.My ex mother in law tried to give me a used throw away enema can once. I just thanked her and told her that we didn't need it. It took all my gumption to not vomit on her shoes. Gross!!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Only if you have some way to sterilize it.Like in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes. You need higher temperatures than you can get from boiling alone, and I don't think anything you could wash it with would clean it well enough for me to be comfortable using it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Really, Kathleen? Essentially autoclaving is necessary in this case? I would think that if the enema were previously cleaned even with water, you would probably be ok to use it. It's been a couple of years. I was under the impression that any residual bacteria or viruses would have degraded by now. I could be wrong, though. I would just wash the thing in alcohol to kill any new germs on it and let it dry, unless your mom had AIDS or some other bloodborne disease.Actually, I personally would just go get some fleet enemas, but I don't really think there is any problem with you using this beyond the fact that it sounds a little gross.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'm a little paranoid about spores that can survive really long times and still be nasty.A rinse out with alcohol will get rid of some things (too bad you can't flame the alcohol off as that isn't good for the rubber). Although alcohol isn't good for some plastics and rubber, so that might weaken it depending on what material it was made out of.I had a spore that contaminated some buffers in the lab that survived through autoclaving, alcohol bath, and the flaming. Nasty bugger that was. I don't think it was something that would infect people, none of us got sick or anything, but the thing just Would.Not.Die. Tetracycline did kill it, funny enough, but all the normal things didn't even touch the spore.I guess some depends on Mom's health status and all, but if I were going to do it, I'd buy one new, they aren't that expensive rather than risk it.But that is me.K.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think that the tip can be removed and sterilized in boiling water. You could try running very hot water and anti-bacterial soap through the bag and tubing and then rinsing with hot water. It would probably be OK. But, as others have said, why not go out and buy another enema bag? I think they are only about $10-12 and are available at most major pharmacy chains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.