Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member, and posted much of the following as a reply last evening, but I would like to throw the subject out to the entire board for any helpful suggestions and comments. I have a long history of chronic constipation, which has been diagnosed as ideopathic gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying), along with IBS-C. I have been taking several Tablespoon fulls of Latulose Syrup for a number of years now. So far, it is the best thing I have come across to treat my chronic constipation. About 2 years ago, I seemed to have worked out the correct dosing regimen, etc., for me. Unfortunately, it was short-lived, and I haven't been able to find a good dosing regimen ever since. I started taking Zelnorm, 6 mg., twice a day, and I've been taking it in combination with a lot of Lactulose syrup ever since. The Zelnorm really seemed to help with the bloating and fullness caused by my gastroparesis, and provides more of a sense of peristalis. As for moving my bowels, it hasn't done very much. I still have to take a lot of Lactulose syrup each day, or I simply do not have a bowel movement. I cut way back on the Lactulose syrup to test the Zelnorm, but I could not have a bowel movement without the Lactulose Syrup. The problem I'm having now is coming up with an appropriate dosing regimen. Presently, while my bowels move, I spend more time in the restroom coping with bouts of the big C, and the big D which the medications tend to cause a bit of. Part of my trouble seems to be due to inadequate evacuation. This goes on for several hours each day, and my stomach and abdomen really hurt, until my bowels completely move. As you can see, this really compromises my quality of life and activities of daily living. When I first started taking Zelnorm, I stopped for about 1-month, because it seemed like my bowels moved better with the Lactulose. However, the increased bloating, fullness, etc., reappeared in my abdomen. When I started using the Zelnorm again, these symptoms dissipated. My bowels, unfortunately, are a mess! Has anyone had experience using both Zelnorm and Lactulose Syrup for treatment of chronic constipation, and what results have you seen? I've given some thought to stopping the Zelnorm again in an effort to better regulate bowel movements with the Lactulose syrup, but I dread the onset of bloating and fullness I know will likely follow with the cessation of the drug. Since I achieved an optimum point in my treatment with Lactulose syrup 2-years ago, I would give anything to go back to that if I could. That was before Zelnorm, but at the tail end of taking Propulsid, before it was removed from the market. Part of me wonders if the Zelnorm in some way adversely interferes with the way Lactulose Syrup works on my bowels, such that I may be better off without it in the long run, or if it's just that my condition is chronic and I'm a little older. For the record, I have found Zelnorm to be much more beneficial than Propulsid ever was. The same is true regarding Domperidome, Reglan, and all the other drugs I've tried experimentally through the years. I've also tried Mira-Lax, and found the Lactulose Syrup far superior in the effect it has on my bowels. In 1998-99, I additionally had an experimental GI pacemaker, which did not live up to all the hype, did little for my delayed gastric emptying and chronic constipation, and was ultimately rejected by my body. The incision around the pacer itself suddenly opened on its own 9-months post-op, and I was filled with infection. I was in good physical shape at the time, so I never exhibited an overt signs of infection. I could not even be sewn up after the pacer was removed so the remnants of the extensive infection in my abdomen could drain. That was a horrible experience. I do, however, think if the GI pacer could have been turned up higher, rather than maintained at the ridiculously low level the FDA requires in the clinical studies, it may very well have helped me. I regret I'll never know the answer to that question. I'm not sure, but my body apparently rejected the metal and/or other materials the GI pacer is made from. Thanks for reading about my history, and any input regarding the use of Lactulose Syrup and Zelnorm would be most appreciated. --Jas

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.