Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many find it impossible to go on vacation? I haven't been on a vacation since 1989, it's about time I get away from home. My son is 11 and has never been on vacation, due to me not being able to be away from a toilet. Well that's all about to change. We're going to buy a travel trailer, (a moving toilet, if you will), so we can get away. The closest toilet will just be a stop on the highway. We can't wait to go see Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone in person! This might be good for my anxiety, knowing I have a toilet and shower, if need be, right there behind my truck. I hope this is something we will be able to do soon.Anyone else have the same concerns/ worries about leaving home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How many find it impossible to go on vacation? I haven't been on a vacation since 1989, it's about time I get away from home. My son is 11 and has never been on vacation, due to me not being able to be away from a toilet. Well that's all about to change. We're going to buy a travel trailer, (a moving toilet, if you will), so we can get away. The closest toilet will just be a stop on the highway. We can't wait to go see Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone in person! This might be good for my anxiety, knowing I have a toilet and shower, if need be, right there behind my truck. I hope this is something we will be able to do soon.Anyone else have the same concerns/ worries about leaving home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live 20 miles from Mt Rushmore and hope you can make it here soon. I had to answer your question because it is very difficult for me to travel. It is even difficult for me to just go out for the day. We visit my husband's mother once in awhile, she lives in a tiny apartment, we stay overnight, and it is horrendous for me. I have found that using the bathroom every chance I get, whether I really need to go or not, can help. I have no real answers though. There are things that I have learned to do for myself to somewhat keep my IBS under control. When traveling, these things often go right out the window. Especially my high-fiber, low-gluten, non-dairy, low-soy, high-water-content diet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few years back I worked as an outside contractor in the Gehl Plant in Yankton, S.D. I begged my wife to bring our son up and the three would pop on over to Mt Rushmore. She had too many meetings scheduled. I missed that opportunity. Our son has never been on vacation, he gets very little time to just relax. I'm going to make sure he gets a break from everything soon. He's such a great kid, he deserves to get away.I'm sorry to hear you have trouble getting out, I have the same thing. I'm 45 and it's just so frustrating. I'm an outdoorsman, I know survival and just really into the whole outside thing. I really feel for people who get this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Cherokee, as a matter of fact I'm heading that way (NC/TN) in a couple of weeks... I'm DREADING it, the long windy roads with sparce restrooms. Sigh, I have had the issue since junior high and am now 24... I too have a youngin' (she's 2 1/2) and it's depressing because we don't get out as much as we should. My girl LOVES to be outside and playing, which is what I want for her... but lately the pain and attacks have been so horrible I just can't bring myself to do it... Dragging my butt to my night classes has been a hoop. =( I've tried Donnatal = no relief whatsoever, not even as a mild sedative. I love fishing, off-roading, etc. also.. it's not fair that IBS sufferers don't have some sort of remedy that really does the job. I also have RA so usually when one is acting up so is the other. Does your spouse seem understanding? I know some of my family members that just can't relate get aggravated with me, and that hurts in itself. =/Sure hope you guys have a lovely vacation... maybe we need to invest in one of these campers!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I think, if you can afford it, a camper is the best solution to this problem. I know the first 5 years I dealt with this we lived in the Yukon, so going camping, biking, cross country skiing was always possible, given the wilderness that surrounded us. The last 5 years of D we moved down to the south, into a city, and the whole thing became quite debilitating. If it wasn't for finding my treatment, I suspect I would still be holed up in our home. As it is, the past 10 years have been great. My general suggestion is to read up on everything that has helped others and try them all in turn. But definitely take your kids places if you can. Don't let these years go missing.Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jesselle, I hope you are able to do the things you want to with your daughters. It's rough on all involved, I know. It hurts when family doesn't understand, especially the ones who are with you the most. They just really don't understand why you can't pick yourself up and go on a moments notice. My wife, bless her, has been with me through all the tests and even went in while I had a colonoscopy one time. She is starting to understand the daily stomach aches and cramping. I didn't expect my life to be like this at all. I didn't want to put my family through this, but it's not up to me. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to turn it around and make fun of it. Crying everyday gets me no where, laughing gets others to join me! Funny how that works! I'm a genuine person, I don't act one way on here and live differently. If I'm not myself, I'm only kidding myself. I don't like others to hurt as I have been hurt. What you see here is what you get. I can only be me. I'm not here to make fun of others, I'm here to make fun of me. If it makes you laugh I've made your day a little better. I don't say things just to be saying them, I truly, honestly mean it. I feel, therefore others must feel as well. If things get bad there must be something good, you might have to look long and hard, but it's there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overitnow, I agree, kids need to get away. It's rough enough to be a kid, let alone being a kid with a parent who has IBS-D. We live in a subdivision in Jeff City Missouri. Now I'm not the city type. I'm just a good old country boy trapped in by neighbors. Great neighbors, but still. I love the outdoors, wide open spaces with lots of wildlife. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a hunter. I'm NOT a trophy hunter, I only hunt for food, never monetary gain. I don't showcase my food. I can't eat antlers or hides, useless until turned into necessary clothing and such. My son is the greatest, my wife, she's the reason I breathe. It tough seeing my family suffer because of my health. We are going to get a camper to pull behind my truck so we can get away. They deserve a break!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like a good plan mate. I have always struggled with holidays. My problem is slightly different, I have IBS-C I think, so it takes me ages to go toilet, (although I still have to go three of four times a day). Because it can take me 30 minutes, I just wont use public toilets, it is rather embarrassing, (and can be noisy). I have flown all over the world, but cannot see me doing that at the moment.What is the longest time any of you have heard of somebody suffering from IBS. It is often a life-long condition, or do people seem to get over the worst?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.