Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fell over in the ice and I have badly hurt my back and arm, two weeks on I am still in pain,thinking this could actually take the month or so to get better I thought i need to find a pain killer that wouldnt make my IBS play up.I've also been trying to find something that could help me sleep that wouldn't make my IBS flare up.I eventually came across something that said that not only was there a drug for both but it also could help with IBS problemsthat drug being Valium.The only issue is I don't want to go to the doctor and say can i try valium as I know that that drug is also used by a few people i know in a recreational way and I dont want the doctor thinking thats what I want it forthe questions I therefore have are 1 - has anybody found valium to help them2 - how badly do the side effects effect you3 - how easy is it to get valium on the NHS

·
Registered
287 Posts
have taken diazepam on a few occasions over the last year. Yes, you can get it on the NHS-haven't asked my GP for it yet but will next visit. No side effects other than calming me down enough to get to meetings etc at 9am and the dentist.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I was given it as a pain killer for an in-office minor surgery. All I wanted the next day was MORE, and not for the pain. Keep an eye on yourself, it can have teeth.Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have an adictive personality so not worried about that side of it but I got some today, doc said take them at 6 so that if it knocks me for 6 (no pun intended) plenty of time for it to wear off before work the next day as cant take them if it effects ability to work.instead i took early as pain was really bad and noticed no difference in anything so took more and still dont feel any difference, still in pain more so than this morning after the walk to pick the buggers up, no drowsyness, no anything.so either the generic diazepam aren't any good, becuase im on low dose so that i can take enough to kill pain but not enough to effect ability to work it isn't strong enough. or doc just gave me a placebo to see if its power of mind rubbish.wouldnt know how to tell whats the reason I just hope back isnt as bad tomorrow as couldnt have made it through work today and i wont tomorrow unless there is at least some improvement but ill keep taking them to see if they ever get round to helping but these will prob just be another set of meds that dont work that will lie in a cuboard. out of curiousioty how would you tell if it was a placebo anyway?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For the dental procedures I've had it is usually 5 mgs the night before and 5 mgs again right before the appointment and a third dose if I need it when I get home.They don't normally do that (and I need a driver or they won't prescribe it) but when I had my wisdom teeth pulled I didn't need to be all the way out, but that was a dose to make me not care so much what they were doing in my mouth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.