Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive had Vasovagal Syncope now for about 5 years and pass out daily, ive always accepted that its a problem that i just have to deal with, however over the last 2-3 years (same time as the IBS symptoms began to appear, gas, bloating, abdominal pains, headaches, change in BM, severe nausea (to the point of heaving) and weight issues) the vasovagal episodes have got conciderably worse. I now find that day to day life is difficult and some days im unable to complete even simple daily tasks such as showers and find working incredibly hard. It feels that there is more underlying issue that it being just blood pressure making me feel this bad. I wondered if this could be the IBS? Does anyone else have vasovagal? has it improved or got worse? Ive seen cardiologists and theres no longer any meds i can take in regards to the Vasovagal. Just feel really lost, and feeling ill 24/7 isnt helping the situation.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS symptoms (abdominal pain although some people can have vasovagal episodes from normal non-painful bowel movements) often set off Vasovagal problems.If you have more fatigue that either the IBS or Vasovagal issues would explain you might need to be evaluated for fibromyalgia or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IBS symptoms (abdominal pain although some people can have vasovagal episodes from normal non-painful bowel movements) often set off Vasovagal problems.If you have more fatigue that either the IBS or Vasovagal issues would explain you might need to be evaluated for fibromyalgia or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
I do have alot of fatigue, that started at the same time as the IBS symptoms, i wasnt aware really that fatigue could play a part in the situation, ive arranged a consultation with a new physician and will explain the symptoms and ask to be evaluated, Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fatigue never seems to help anything, whether it is from a syndrome like FMS, or ME or it is something like anemia or thyroid issues (which they usually check out along the way to an FMS or ME type of diagnosis).Sometimes it is just a matter of poor sleep (either quality or quantity) but it sounds like things are hard enough for you in day to day living that things should be checked out. I can have some pretty severe fatigue from my allergies but I've gone through a few in depth bloodwork to make sure that is all that is going on. I've also had problems breathing while I sleep (had to have sleep studies and they fixed the internal structure of my nose) and just from lack of sleep I had some features of IBS and FMS that cleared up as soon as I started getting quality sleep. I always got enough hours but it was so poor in quality that it never did me any good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OMG! Is that what you call it? (Vasovagal Syncope ). I have a problem with collapsing (fainting) during BM's. I've been to emerg, my son called ambulance once, I just talked to my doctor about it today. I had no idea there was such a name for it. Do you get really hot before you faint? I have experienced this again this fainting and near fainting spells since the summer. Seems to coincide when my body is cramping and I have dry stools and when my body is trying to expel them. I have learned to catch the warning symptoms and try to stave off the fainting. My warning symptoms are when I start to feel too hot and get nauseated and feel like I have to go to the bathroom. The first time I collapsed was 11 years ago. My son called ambulance and they said they thought that I must have been hyper-ventilating to cause the collapse. It happened again this summer and I went to emerg and they suspected my blood pressure had bottomed out. Interesting.... really I don't know if my blood pressure bottomed out cause no one was there to take my blood pressure when it happens. ....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Vagovagal syncope occurs when the brain's cavernous sinus (directly connected to the VVS) is at low pressure and the brain's Cerebro spinal fluid pressure is high, causing a diversion of the blood from the cavernous sinus to the jugular vein (lowering Csf pressure). I use a cervical traction device to purposely cause cerebro ventricular compression, (and coffee) which contsrict the cerebral ventricals leaving me more prone to increased intra-cranial pressure, causing the jugular diversion. The coffee actually increases CSF production and pressure. What is interesting is that when the body strains at stool, the vertebral venous system (VVS) is at high pressure which causes the jugular diversion , ( and lowering of Csf pressure), which causes a rise in glutamate in the brain, which is toxic to the brain. This causes an increase in the brain's metabolism which uses lactate as a fuel, but low levels are sensed (and equated with low blood sugar) they turn on a counter-regulatory mechanism which includes activation of the vagus nerve, giving one vago-vagal syncope.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanx so much for all the information! All I know is that I am prone to fainting and it seems linked to my IBS quite a bit. One thing though I realized since reading this thread last night, is that I do have one documented case during minor surgery when I fainted. I was having a cyst removed and I was awake and I started going faint. They had all my vitals. I told them everything going black. they checked my blood pressure and it had dropped drastically so they quickly hooked me up to an IV.It feels good knowing there is a name for this condition. So it's not all my head. Thanx so much

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Just wanted to correct a bit of misinformation on this thread. ME is not the same as chronic fatigue syndrome, and the main symptom is NOT fatigue. (Most people are not clear on that, however, so it is a very common misconception.)However, the syncope issue can and DOES cause MAJOR fatigue - especially depending on how low your BP dips during your episodes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts