Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
While people who promote veganism will tell you that it will always cure whatever your problem is, there isn't a lot of track record of people going vegan and suddenly having no IBS problems anymore.A lot will depend on what triggers your IBS, how well you tolerate soy and other beans as a protein source and all the starches.Often the things that are a large part of a vegan diet may be hard for some IBSers to eat large amounts of regularly.On the other hand, vegan diets tend to be high in fiber and if you are one of the people that does well on a high fiber diet (some IBSers do, others need to avoid all high fiber foods) it may work well for you.There is no universal rule for diet in IBS, so I can't give you a solid answer. You can try it, it may work, it may make you worse.K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad I found this post. Going vegan was a way for me to get to a healthy weight-bracket. Personally, I didn't enjoy eating meat or eggs growing up, but I was forced to. In the household I grew up in, you ate what you got or you went hungry. Being obese for years and years made it convincing to try veganism, so I went from vegetarianism to veganism, and I had awesome bowel movements ... but then ... I suddenly developed this constipation that was horrendous. Still have it, and now I'm vegetarian again.

Eating meat or eggs guarantees that I would gain weight. Admittedly, I had some foods that had egg in them (and one that had meat "snuck" into it, albeit a microscopic amount), and I'm starting to balloon up. This is embarrassing for me, and I don't want to eat anything with eggs, or meat, or eating eggs at all. Just don't want to. Also, the smell; eggs and meat are not appetizing to me.

...You know how... you feel right before a case of influenza hits you? That sensation, but mild and still unpleasant, is what I feel if I eat eggs or meat. Felt that most of my life, but again, I was forced to ignore it because I ate what I got. I remember picking the meat out of burgers and pastas as a kid.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy the foods that they love. That includes people who eat eggs and meat. The problem is that my body refuses to process the foods that I need to eat in order to get the nutrients I need. I don't know what to do.
sad.png

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I actually got my IBS-C from going on a mostly vegan diet for about two or three months. Never had chronic constipation before that. I don't eat that anymore, just 'normal' foods now, but still have it every day. (Grrrrr!
mad.gif
)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed something pretty cool when I googled the one type of nut that people can eat on a FODMAP diet. When I Googled "peanuts food" or "Walmart peanuts" (lol), I noticed that they are very high in protein. I also noticed that they are very high in calories, but if you need your protein, I suppose that eating a cup of peanuts a couple times a week might be OK?
blink.png
Plus, it's also high in magnesium, iron, B-6, and calcium, so that's also a win-win.

Tofu tends to be expensive for my budget, but I enjoy tofu. Be perfectly fine with eating tofu.

It may not be that awful after all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.