Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...Just need to vent: I'm in a situation where I work in an office (as a sales rep by phone) and would love to take the next step in my career by quitting this job and starting with a new company as an outside sales rep. (LOTS more money!) But this blasted IBS is totally getting in the way. See, in my office I can use the restroom whenever I want and as often as I want without it being too noticeable. I soooo much want to go further in my career with outside sales, but I'm terrified about starting something new. Will I have to go out of state for training? How will the bathroom situation be at training? How will I deal with traveling on the road with an employee to "learn the ropes" of the job? It's be so embarassaing to be in the car with a manager or employee and having to explain IBS. Once I'm on the job, will I be able to cope w/ my IBS and being out in the "field" all day? I know there are plenty of restaurants, gas stations, or where ever else to go into if I needed, but I just don't know if I'm up for it. This is a nagging issue with me and I just can't help but to think of all the "normal" folks out there who don't have to deal with IBS and do what they want with their lives. I'm conviced that at some point, I'll have to make the move to outside sales, as the money's better and I'll better off able to support my family, but I hate it soooo much that I can't just make the move without IBS having such an impact!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm not in your situation. I am however a stay at home mum at this time in my life and I often wonder what I will do when the time comes for me to work. There's many things I would love to do however I just don't think my health would allow me to do what I love. Sorry I'm not much help but I can sympathise. I'm sorry you have such a tough decision to make.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can totally understand your situation. About 6 months ago a Sales Rep job came up in our company, and I so wanted to go for it. I decided against it for all of the above reasons you mentioned. At the time I was bad with my IBS, and could not even consider it. If the job came along now, I might reconsider. I think it depends how bad your IBS is. What I would say, is try not to let IBS get in the way of what you want to do. Get your IBS under control, then go for it.Mandy x

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for responding. The thing is, at some point in my life, I'm going to have to make the transition to outside sales. I guess I'll just have to try to make it happen when my IBS isn't as bad. It just angers me so much to realize how much IBS gets in the way of LIFE!
Oh well. Thanks again for your responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.