Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to rant now so bare with me.. ok some days my nausea is near enough non existant like about a week n half ago...i was nomming pizza n stuff usual tripe i eat, and then somedays it can return for what appears to be no reason...i was told nausea can/cannot be also..a symptom of ibs.. but what confusesme the most is why it comes and goes..i eat regularly (to the best of my ability) as ive been doing for the last few months a little and often and not missing out on meals, so i have my vitals like breakfast lunch and dinner..and inbetween, snacks like fruit, crisps, biscuits, you know the usual! but somedays it REALLY does effect what i can manage to eat. i DO NOT give it or let it get to me..if its tiotally bad i will eat only what i fancy and WILL NOT miss out on a meal. i really dont get it?!?!? anyone else in the same boat? it really does get on my nerves..i can be fine one day and ikky the next whithout not doing anything majorly different! now i could understand if i DID NOT eat...and i could also understand if i ate TOO much..but i do neither..im tryin to pick up my life where it left off from when i became really ill, but this neausea really does hold me back somedays...the doctor is doing nothing..seen a few now..their reply was basically "you will learn what makes it worse n what doesnt" im not being funny or owt, but it DOESNT seem to be ANYTHING inparticular that i eat.. again im so confused n gettin anoyed, because it does stop me form doing things because somedays i dont feel like even leaving the house!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Every single day is not identical and IBS (or any other functional GI problem) does have a habit of coming and going (at least yours comes and goes, after 6 months of every day being almost exactly as bad as the last I would have killed for day with just 25% fewer symptoms) for no apparent reason.Even if you eat the same food every day all food stuffs tend to vary a bit so today's apple may have a bit more sorbitol even if it weighs the exact same amount and was from the same tree.If you are female your hormones are different every day, they cycle in a pattern, but today is not the same as yesterday.You may sleep bit better or worse on any given night even if you went to bed and got up at the exact same minute every single day. Some days you move more than others even if you exercise very regularly and have an extremely consistent routine with the exact same errands in the exact same locations (which is unlikely).The weather today is rarely the same as yesterday or tomorrow and being a bit colder, warmer, wetter, drier or whateverer than your ideal may pop a bit of physical stress into the system.You probably are not in the exact same mood with the exact same stress levels with the exact same emotions at the exact same time every single day. All that can effect your IBS and ramp it a bit up or a bit down. Getting mad because you don't have the exact same symptoms ever day or can't predict exactly which days will be exactly how bad will also make some days worse than others are you are likely not exactly the same amount of frustrated every single day.Diet is one of dozens of triggers, most of which you cannot control. It would be easy if food was the only thing that ever varied or ever triggered a symptom, but you might want to assume your diet has not one thing to do with whether you have symptoms or not and see if any other controllable triggers (like going to bed at a good time for you) are something you can work on and stop getting mad that the weather changes or your hormones cycle and you can't do anything about which night some guy honks his horn at 3 am and disturbs your sleep a bit too much even if you don't wake up and don't know that you didn't sleep quite as well as you need to, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear what ur saying...its like an encyclopedia reading there ^^^^ i totally understand all that...but WILL there ever be a point where i can have more than 3-4 days of being relatively normal?! i swear i spend more feeling unwell than well...its gettin beyond pathetic really. i know its silly i just feel i need to wake up like its all a nasty dream. i dont honestly do enough to stress my self out..i may not seem stressed in my head, maybe subconsiously..but seriously for real there must be something that can stop it..yeh anger doesnt help, ive always been to a degree fiery tempered if things do gomy way, or something isnt right..(i personally blame my genes my dad is verymuch the same, and the doc said i did have a slightly high blood pressre on monday but tbh..i left the seat i was in and headed to the room she was in and i was shitting it..again doctors illnesses all alien to me) so her question was,.."how dou deal with is when ur heart races?!" i said honestly..i PERSONALLY think im unfit EVEN though im very skinny, when iw as in college i was physically fit and since i learnt to drive all that lot went out of the window..i have no intrest..which can be a bad thing i suppose..but having done little walks around where i live few timesa week i felt worse off..again could be the fact i havent really moced my body in 4 years since ipassed my driving test! but in all honesty..Its NEVER been a problem up until i got this fekkin ibs..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Functional GI problems are chronic and there is no expiration date after which you can be certain you will be well. I wish I could tell you in 3 years and 15 days you will be done and be normal for the rest of your life, but I can't.Like I said when my IBS was bad I would have killed for a few hours of feeling normal, I didn't get 3-4 days of normal at a time until I got in the Cog Behavioral Therapy study.They can go away, but getting all angry at it doesn't help it go away. If anything that makes it worse and makes it go on for longer.Enjoy the good days, and find ways to cope with the bad. Most people have something that makes them completely miserable for some part of their life. It may not be fair that some of us get more than others, but a lot more people than you would suspect by looking at them are in pain, or feeling bad from all number of things. You really aren't alone and it isn't personal. You just got unlucky in this one thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess so
some days (this sounds REALLY bad) i do come to terms with that i may not be right again...n the one the good days i think yeh i fine no idea what i was moaning about before. i just REALLY hate when people seem to think, if i cannot see it it doesnt exist..like in the summer i would go to the local car cruise..one guy said to be shortyafteri go diagnosed..ah that all rubbish! cant u just eat n it be ok? or it would be..or skinny just eat more n u be ok! i was like yeh once upon a time i had NOTHING worng withme..now i seem to have this... ive always been tiny im only a slight bird at 5ft3" and size 6/8 all ive knowen all my life LOL so honestly i was ready to smack him and say look u dont know me if u met me years ago ud recognise me now because apart from the fact i now have a chest im still the same short slim girl..my mates honestly were 1 step away from telling me to chill out LOL.at one point i thought maybe he is right maybe im mental..but after 6 trips to the docs n several different pill (tryin to find what works better for me) they reassured me im not dying and NO it isnt in my head im just basically having a ###### time handling it.. i mean one doctor gave me colofac! and OMG honestly ive never felt so bad...i really couldnt goto the loo.. im finding being on alverine citrate im doing ALOT better..i just some days really dont feelright... so after my LONG rant i guess your right Kathleen, somedays are S4!t and others arent.. i might aswell embrace the good ones (when ever i will get another one LOL)

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
HI PeaLea oh yes it is frustrating living with all this. i have ibs-c. i find i never know what to expect--if i'm going to have a good day or a bad one---it's totally unpredictable. so is the nausea. i had nausea almost every day last week--none at all this week--for no particular reason--not doing anything particularly different. but what kathleen said makes sense--good explanation.and yes it is frustrating when people give you the "well you don't look sick" remark---i get that too. ibs seems to be one of those things most people just don't understand unless they have it. and yeah people will also tell you it's your fault because you don't eat right etc--oh yeah, i wish it were all that easy. but it's most definitely not all in your head. years ago i used to think that and that it was all my fault. that's one of the many reasons why this board is so helpful--to know you are not alone. also to share info and support...and it lets us rant too if we need it--a good rant can help sometimes.but yes just try to roll with it--make the most of the good days, try to cope with the bad. easier said than done i know but it's possible. and keep trying different things that might help--meds--both scripts and otc, exercise, yoga, meditation, heating pads etc.etc. you might find something or a combination of things that will help. and i do hope your new b/c pill will help lessen the nausea.hope you feel better soon--take care.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i love this board tbh...i feel alot better having found it! thanks x

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meh i have a cold...n still feel sick....why does it happen? and why do some people feel it and others dont!? its like behind my belly button... =( not really pain just feel sick, and it doesnt really go away if i eat either.. as i said before, i feel better toward the end of the day, but by then lol everything is gettin ready to chill out n relax. grr pain in butt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nausea has been one of my main symptoms over last 12 years or so. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's barely there, sometimes I can eat something and be fine, another day the same food makes me feel sick. It sucks and I feel your frustration. xxx

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep im off certain foods..well potato...mash or chips..cannot stand it atm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts