Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I have read people who have said to keep a chart of what you eat and when you have an attack.. My question is how do you know what food is the trigger? Cuz if i remember rite its takes sumthing like up to 16 hours to process (ive heard different stuff, ive heard anything from 30 seconds to 48 hours) but if it is 16 hours u would have eaten again - so do you count back to what you ate 16 hours ago? or does a trigger have an amediate effect?Im not even sure if any of this is making any sence lol.. or if ive been misimformed..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The mouth to anus time is from 16 hours to 72 hours in most people.So there can be some lag time between when you eat and symptoms. Not sure about the distribution of when people react, but I tend to think more in the 24 hour range than in teh 72 hour range.But since it varies and it might not be the last meal what you can do, especially if you have infrequent symptoms (rather than after every meal) is to go I had symptoms on lets say for example This Saturday and Last Saturday, but not the Saturday before thatWhat did I eat on those Saturdays, Fridays, and Thursdays. Which things were common for the two days I reacted and not for the one where I didn't.That starts to give you clues. Once you get a fairly good idea of what might be triggering and what might be safe. Eat the safe foods for like 3-4 days and if no symptoms then start adding in what you think triggers you, one at a time (or group at a time....if everything greasy sets you off I don't think you have to test each and every greasy thing to make the determination).Now if you have symptoms every day that becomes more problematic as it is harder to tell what is non-reacting and what is reacting, but it may make some sense to look at your diet for a few weeks after writing it down and go I eat X, Y and Z almost every day. What happens if I don't eat X for 3-5 days. Again this may be specific foods or categories of foods (like bread, pasta, baked goods are all wheat based starchy things).K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When dairy is the issue, you should see the symptoms within 20 min to 2hrs. generally. Lactose Intolerence occurs in the breakdown of the food (or beverage). That is a general rule of thumb that the dr.'s gave me and the test for lactose intolerence is bases on this reaction time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies - i dont feel so silly now asking that question as it does seem i was misinformed by my friend.I dont have symtoms everyday or after every meal -mine is every so often, maybe once or twice a month - more if ive been stressed out alot. I have found that different cooking oils can set off an attack and i have cut those out already but there must be sumthing else as well. I have also cut out fizzy drinks which has stopped me from feeling quite so bloated as i did before.. i guess its just going to have to be a case of trial and error to find other triggers.Thank you all for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.