Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm happy I found this site as it helps to not feel so alone. I am a 24 year old nursing student (in my last year of RN school) from Vancouver Canada who has been diagnosed with IBS. I have IBS-D, and I can't remember a day in the last couple of months where I haven't had diarrhea, although my stomach problems started long before then. Lately the diarrhea, cramping, bloating and constant pain is so bad I just sometimes want to die. Tonight I had my two best friends over and I was in the bathroom for about 45 minutes, and when I came out I was in such severe pain I could hardly do anything for the rest of the night. It's so horrible and embarrassing and, well, I'm sure many of you know how I'm feeling.I saw a gastroenterologist today after waiting 6 months for this appointment... he didn't even do an abdominal assessment, just asked me some questions, told me he thinks it's IBS just like my GP does, and gave me some pamphlets on IBS. He also sent me for some blood and stool tests. He said if I'm not better in 2 months to come back and see him and then he'll "think about" medications or a colonoscopy/endoscopy. I was a bit disappointed, even the thought of being like this for 2 more months. Lately it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, and half the time I live on oatmeal, bananas, and rice.Anyhow, good to meet you all and I'm glad to find some support here!- Sylvia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Forest Maiden.Welcome to the site
im also new here and although I cant relate totally to the diarhhoea and pain I do have IBS and have just finished university so I no how tough it is to do a course whilst having IBS. And I can totally understand how it destroys your social life as I now have really bad social anxiety and panic when I am in a room full of people. I know you said that the doctor wont consider prescribing you any medication as of yet but perhaps there is some over the counter medication that you could try from your local drug store which might help in the mean time? It just seems like a long time to suffer whilst waiting for the doctor to provide ny help.Hope you find some comfort soon
xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I'm new as well. I totaly understand how you Feel. I have had ibs for the past 6 years, and it just keeps getting worse. I feel sick all the time no matter what I eat, and because I suffer bad with ibs I have now panic attacks, anger,depressed,fear of foods,fear of public places. I to can't enjoy life anymore, and I spend my whole life on the toilet '

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Julie,I have had IBS for around the same amount of time as you and only recently have I started trying to get control of it. I am changing my diet (its been about 3 weeks now) and am really noticing a reduction in symptoms already (tho dnt wana speak 2 soon). I have read around a lot and been to see a dietician but what I really found useful was Eating for IBS book by Heather Von Vorous...maybe you could have a look at that? I also have anxiey and have struggled with social situations for the past 3 years (throughout uni which was a nitemare) but im now taking Diazepam and am recieving counselling and have to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy exercises which are helping. Today I managed to sit 9-5pm through a training session without any hitches so it ggoes to show that things can help improve your symptoms (fingers crossed tomorrows training sessiom will b ok. I would not have been able to sit through tht training session afew weeks ago so hopeully im on the road to getting my IBS under control. So dont give up hope....keep looking out for ways to help yourself. Let me know how u get on
x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.