Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to pass this along as right off the bat I'm impressed; he metions Dr. Leo Galland, an integrative medicine doctor who is well known for his position on parasites and Metametrix, a company that does cutting edge DNA/PCR testing which is reliable, unlike conventional stool sample tests. Both this doctor and this company have helped me greatly. I'm excited about attacking my last two parasites, h. Pylori and d. Fragilis.
visit this interesting site. http://www.davehompesblog.com/category/parasites/

·
Registered
517 Posts
A few months ago I had testing done through Metametrix. It found I had H pylori and some unidentifiable parasite and fugus. I had previously had regular stool testing done that came back negative. In march I went through a round of H pac(for the H pylori), anti fungals, and antiparasite meds. I felt a lot better for about 2-3 weeks after the meds but my symptoms and D have come back. I'm picking up another test kit today to get retested. H.pylori can be hard to get rid of so my Dr. wants to see if I need further rounds of Hpac.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're on the right track with Metametrix. Last year the test found Ascaris for me, and I killed it with 2 pills. Feeling much better. This year, on the retest, they found D. Fragilis and H. Pylori. I was sceptical and had my doc call the company. I wanted to know why they weren't found last time around; company said that they increased the sensitivity of this test over the past year for those particular bugs. They said that patients who treat these have a much better outcome. Don't give up.

G

·
Don't accept a diagnosis of "IBS" until you have been tested, well tested, for parasites and food sensitivities.
My doctors kept telling me I had IBS and trying to treat me accordingly while my health continued to decline for over a year. When I'd lost 60 pounds (because I couldn't eat) and the gastroenterologist STILL wasn't taking me seriously, my husband and I decided we needed a new perspective. We found a new doctor and got DNA stool testing. Lo and behold, I tested positive for h. pylori, campylobacter, and hookworms. I finally got a treatment plan that made sense, and I'm doing SO much better these days! This type of testing definitely made the difference for me.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Karoe - when you say that this doctor really helped you do you mean David Hompes? Also, it is interesting that Metametrix say they have improved their testing. I don't suppose they offered you a refund when they discovered they had missed some things did they? I had a Metametrix test done last year and I am now annoyed to think they might have missed something.Bluefish - which lab did your test please?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hookworms! I had Ascaris. Are you mostly better now??? What are your remaining symptoms? Good for you!! Aren't you angry that the doc did not know about something so simple??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I'm sorry Leo Galland helped me by publishing his protocols for gut issues. Search on my posts for the 4 R's treatment. I copied it out of his monograph and put it here. Because of him I went to an integrative medicine physician in my community who had access to Metametrix. My doc called this year when the re=test showed the new parasites and they said that they had increased the senstivity of the test to pick up those two. If they had had no explanation, I would have asked for a free retest. I don't feel bad about it--- regular doctors gave me ignorance and suffering for over ten years, at least metametrix helped me!

G

·
Hookworms! I had Ascaris. Are you mostly better now??? What are your remaining symptoms? Good for you!! Aren't you angry that the doc did not know about something so simple??
I'm not quite 100 percent, but getting very close. I'm still working out the kinks with getting my gut bacteria balanced again, so there's a little bit of bloating and discomfort now and then, but nothing like before. The harder things are overcoming the food anxiety and rebuilding the muscle I'd lost from months of not eating and spending all my time in bed.I'm not angry at my regular doctor, but I do kind of resent the gastroenterologist. I'm not exactly in a high risk group for hookworms, so I don't necessarily blame them for that, but yeah, when I found out after months and months of misery that the treatment for hookworms was going to be 3 days of an anti-parasitic drug, that was a little bit maddening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.