Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all...I am new here, so please be gentle -although not as gentle as the ^%^#&#^ Colace I am currently taking- :(Tiny bit of background...I am a 32 y.o M. I have not been diagnosed with IBS, although I am fairly convinced I have it...90% of my life is marred with massive amounts of gas pressure bloating and pain. Many nights sleeping have been hindered by my churning stomach. Doctors have been unable to tie it to anything specific). I drink in moderation (maybe 1-2 drinks a week(. Don't smoke. Don't do anything stronger than an extra strength motrin.I have regularly suffered from bouts of constipation. Occassionally diarreah, but almost always constipation.Anyway, I am now almost a week into the worst bout I have ever had and I am SCARED.It began on Thursday when I explained my symptoms to my PCP at my annual checkup. She told me to start taking Benefiber. I did that night. Suddenly, I got completely messed up.For about 4 days, from Thursday until Tuesday, I had virtually no BMs. I had some...but they were VERY small and required a lot of work. And I was experiencing some fairly significant pain in my lower left side. I eventually went to a local health center with urgent care to talk to them about it. They ran some abdominal X-rays and confirmed no blockages or anything, but did see a lot of stool trapped. So they put me on stool softeners (colace) and told me to give myself enemas until the problem had resolved. They seemed completely non-worried about what they saw and it made me feel better.But here we are, 2 days later, Ive been taking the stool softeners as directed and I've been doing enemas at least once a day. The enemas have resulted in a decent amount of stool does come out most of the times I do this...but I STILL have this real pain and discomfort in my lower left (descending colon?) and I still am unable to have a BM by myself without the enema. Generally speaking...the pain is LESS (every day a little better) which makes me wonder if it is some sort of inflammation resultant from the straining, or from being irritatied by the enemas...Regardless, now 2 days after that appt....still cannot have a BM by myself...and still have that slight pain (which actually I believe is hindering my ability to do this by myself). I do feel that, generally, I am getting SLIGHTLY better...I was able to go to the gym for the first time all week today (I usually go 4-5 times a week), and had no ill effects. But I am still unable to have a BM on my own and the pain is still there...and still passing a lot of gas and feeling a lot of rumbling going on inside me.Basically...I am freaking out. I'd really rather not have to go to the doctor again for various reasons including cost and work conflicts, but obviously will if these symptoms are not normal...Is it natural for it to take this long for the situation to resolve itself? I am so desperate and so scared that something horrible is going on inside of me. I have lost 70 lbs over the last year (intentionally....lots of good dieting and hard exercise) and, aside from this, am in the best health of my life...I just want the pain to go away and to be able to move my bowels regularly (or at least the way I used to). Any advice would be SOOOO appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may want to consider Miralax, it can be helpful in softening bad constipation. Might cause diahhrea or watery stool at first, which is just some of the poop being blown past the stuck point.Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good call onthebitWell...called my PCP today. Still have the lower left discomfort and still not going on my own :(He said that I should try MiraLax. He basically said it was the "gold standard" and that if, at this point, i am still not going, that I need to have a full GI workup.Fingers crossed...I really hope this works.,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.