Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Ive been reading through these forums and havent really found anyone on here that shares exactly what im going through and im desperate at this point. Ever since i was a child, I had slow moving bowel movements and was in the bathroom for about 30 minutes until i felt "empty." As a teenager this time spent in the bathroom got longer and longer. I am now 26 years old and it takes me 2-4 hours, per day, sitting on the toilet to have enough releif to feel like i can get up and continue with my day. I am not exactly constipated, but I cannot seem to empty my system all at once. It is extremely uncomfortable and painful at times. Its like my intestines and muscles are just extremely slow to push stool through my system? I have had two colonoscopies, done the balloon test, upper/lower gi series, bloodwork for celiacs, and nothing has been found. I feel like my GI is just handing me different medicines to try and he really doesnt have much interest in digging deeper to diagnose this. I dont think he has the care or expertise to. But even if i have diarrhea from the medicines or whatever i try, ill have diarrhea for 2+ hours before all of the stool is out. No matter how much stool comes out, there is a constant feeling that there is more. There has to be a bigger issue that is hard to figure out. This is mentally exhausting to have to deal with every day. I feel like a prisoner chained to the toilet for hours at a time. Its just especially odd to me that as the years go by it gets worse and worse, yet nothing has been found by my GI. Hoping someone can relate. I don't know where to turn at this point. I know everyone is different and we all have different "solutions" so I guess im just curious if anyone can relate at all because this is not typical constipation or diarrhea. Thanks :/

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
so sorry for your problem.

you mentioned that you had the balloon test. were you able to pass the balloon? did you have an anal manometry done along with the balloon test?

sounds like maybe you should get a new GI if you feel your current GI isn't helping much. often gastro docs who work at motility clinics or university hospitals are more knowledgeable and proactive about treating bowl problems than other gastro docs.

it could be that you have pelvic floor dysfunction if your muscles are having problems pushing out stool. with pfd, the pelvic floor muscles don't coordinate and/or relax properly to allow easy passage of stool. ineffective pelvic floor muscle coordination results in inadequate relaxation of the pelvic floor while attempting to have a BM. the puborectalis muscle tightens and contracts when it is supposed to relax to allow passage of stool.

one test that will diagnose pfd is a defecogram (defecatory proctogram). another one is the anal manometry. biofeedback and physical therapy can help correct pfd.

have you tried elevating your feet on a step stool. elevating the feet while sitting on the toilet helps straighten out the anorectal angle and allows a more complete evaucation. you might have to experiment to find the right height. i first used a large shoebox, then a step stool and then finally bought a squatty potty on amazon, which worked best.

good luck with everything. hope you can find some relief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Annie thanks for the response. Yes i was able to pass the balloon. The Dr. said it seems all of my anal muscles and nerves are working properly. I believe and anal manometry was part of it, but i dont remember the name for all the tests ive taken. I feel as though i have control over my anal muscles and pushing out stool isnt really an issue. I feel like the issue is further up than that. Like my intestines arent properly contracting and pushing my stool along at once. Something i cant control. So basically I can have BM, but at a very slow pace most of the time so it takes awhile to feel "empty." And in one sitting I can have various forms of stool and cramping. And yea i feel as if my GI is more of a pill pusher. Very nice guy, but i think i need someone more experienced so ill look into other places nearby and start going further if I have to. I have tried elevating my feet in the past and it didnt seem to help. Im not really sure where to turn next because the more I read online and in forums, the more and more things i find that "could" be it.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Reactions: mkh62293

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had a sitz test. And thank you so much for sharing that! That is honestly the most relatable thing I have read so far. Its definitely a long shot, but im going to try and reach out to her and get some more info and probably try that diet.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
oh yes--do PM her -- hopefully she'll respond.

good luck!

Reactions: mkh62293
1 - 6 of 6 Posts