Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a GI visit last week with the DR who originally diagnosed me "officially" with IBS 12 years ago. I went because I was very concerned as I had D 24/7 for a few days with a fever of 101. Turned out I had a virus, my son caught it from me and it did resolve but I kept the DR's apt cause I was hoping that after 12 years there might be some new coping tools out there that I havent yet tried.What a waste of my time! My husband went with me and when I went into the exam room the DR took my husband aside and asked him what is going on with your wife, she is so anxious and is much better than the last time I saw her? I am better in that I presented 12 years ago with chronic D and weight loss and have been able to control/manage my IBS so that it had gotten much better, D and C or just going alot. 3 years ago I took Biaxin and that is when my troubles began, I became more sensitive to abdominal sensations and it took a real long time to get back to "normal" for me.Again last Dec I had to take Zithromax (allergic to most other antibiotics) and this time took probiotia, didnt get D but again got the altered bowel habits. MIkes tapes help as does fibercon but it can be an everyday fight with my bowels, I go and go (all formed like hoses) but I am spending to much time and energy on this problem and am getting a bit anxious/depressed from it. Asked the DR what about antidepressants and he said no he wont prescribe them, "if there is a depression component to this your pcp will have to deal with it". From what I have read, today there are many uses for these drugs and a main way that they work is on the nurons in your brain which control the sensations of perceived pain (at least that is what I think). Obviously this GI doc deosnt know much about IBS as he never mentioned any alternative things like hypnosis, CBT or biofeedback either.He showed my husband literature that the drug company that makes Levsen put out extolling the virtues of this "new" drug, along with testimonials from people with IBS D. (I dont usually have alot of D). This "new drug is called NuLev and it IS NOT NEW AT ALL!!!!! It also gave me 2 ocular migranes and lots of gas, I am still taking it cause maybe it will help but I am so VERY frustrated!!!!The DR didnt even want to see me again til I asked if I could come back and let him know how I'm doing. His other "possibility" of what is wrong with me is that since my troubles began after antibiotic I need to give a stool culture (has to be D)cause maybe I have C. diff. Sounds alittle far fetched (and very inexpensive-the stool test) to me. He didnt feel I needed any tests other than blood tests at this time and I'm glad cause I wouldnt let this person near any private parts of me any time soon again. He did conclude that I have classic IBS and hemmorrhoids. Duh.Sorry for this book of venting. I couldnt even talk about this last week I was so burned out from the entire experience. I have to try and find a new DR who understands just a bit about IBS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi NancyCat,Wow! I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with this GI doc! What struck me the most (aside from his obvious lack of up-to-date knowledge on IBS) was the way he spoke to your husband rather than you! I didn't think such overt sexism still existed. (I could be interpreting it all wrong, too...maybe he wasn't being sexist, but that's how it struck me.) Anyway, I hope you find another doc who's more on top of things -and- who treats you with more respect.Grace

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi NancyCat,Wow! I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with this GI doc! What struck me the most (aside from his obvious lack of up-to-date knowledge on IBS) was the way he spoke to your husband rather than you! I didn't think such overt sexism still existed. (I could be interpreting it all wrong, too...maybe he wasn't being sexist, but that's how it struck me.) Anyway, I hope you find another doc who's more on top of things -and- who treats you with more respect.Grace

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Nancy:I answered your other post about C Diff. This guy sounds like he's behind everyone else. If I were you I'd get a referral and ask for someone who specializes in IBS. You at least want to have someone who is up-to-date, and who you feel comfortable speaking with.Anti-depressants are used at a low dosage to help IBS, and some people have been helped a lot by them. The dummy!
JeanG

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Nancy:I answered your other post about C Diff. This guy sounds like he's behind everyone else. If I were you I'd get a referral and ask for someone who specializes in IBS. You at least want to have someone who is up-to-date, and who you feel comfortable speaking with.Anti-depressants are used at a low dosage to help IBS, and some people have been helped a lot by them. The dummy!
JeanG

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Unforunately, Nancy, what you went through is all too common. I went through 4 GI's until I found one that helped me. I could write a book about the first 3 GIs I went to.My advice is to dump this doc in a flash and try a new GI.Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Unforunately, Nancy, what you went through is all too common. I went through 4 GI's until I found one that helped me. I could write a book about the first 3 GIs I went to.My advice is to dump this doc in a flash and try a new GI.Stacey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.