Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc wants to me to take vitamins. So now I started to take some. In the meantime he also wants me to take Omega Fish Oil to see if it would help with the IBS-CG I have. He is a D.O. and is trying something new in treating some patients with IBS. So I am going to be the test. Does anyone know what omega fish oil is for? I have not bought any yet. When I get to the mall this weekend I will pick some up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fish oil, is rich in Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids [EPA + DHA]. Amongst other things it should help with C. There's *tons* of info on-line, but if u do a search, be aware that many of these are commercial sites.Also if u take any such oil then do supplement with Vit E. to overcome oxidation potential.btw whats a D.O.?KKat

G

·
Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils are essential fatty acids. They body needs these, but does not manufacture them...you must get it from the foods you eat. I take them in a product called Udo's Choice which you can buy in a health food store. It tastes lousy, but I think it helps...or at least it doesn't hurt and I know my body needs this. Do a search and read about the omega oils.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just so you know Salmon is extremely high in Omega 3 oil and is probably the healthist fish you can eat, as well as for most people, being easy to digest.------------------I work with Mike and the audio 100 program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fish Oils = Vitamin D(3) commonly used for it's antinflamatory properties. Prelimary evidence towards it's use in slowing the progression of autoimmune illnesses.Search on Cod Liver Oil and read up on it's use in clinical trials. Try to get it in capsule form, the raw taste of CLO is yuck

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Fish oils or flax oils (again, omega-3, primarily) are needed to help with the immune system, one area being the inflammatory response. I make sure I get omega-3 every day. I keep hoping that someday it'll help my apparently autoimmune problems. I imagine that those oils will help your C, at least some.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nick, what is Vitamin D(3)...as opposed to just Vitamin D? I didn't know that D was supposed to help with the inflammatory response as well (pls. explain); know it's needed for good calcium absorption, though.[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nick the Fish Oil that gottago's talking about is Fish *Body* Oil, (omega's) not Fish Liver Oil (Vits A + D) as in CLO.Interesting that CLO's being used in trial - do u have any urls to share .. please?KKat

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi HipJan!
quote:what is Vitamin D(3)...as opposed to just Vitamin D?
There are two major forms of vitamin D - ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3 fish oil ie Cod Liver Oil).For additional reading go to... http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/1999/0499nn.html or http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pat...o/vitamind.html (Thanx and a tip o' the hat to kmottus for explaining the differences to me.)I had never heard about Vit D increasing the absorption of Vit C, but have heard it does increase the absorption of Calcium. (This is why most Calcium comes with Vitamin D.)for additional reading on this try...Calcium and Vitamin D Deficiency:The Clinical Work and Theory of Carl J. Reich, M.D. http://www.arthritistrust.org/topics/calvitd.htm for reading on slowing the progression of autoimmune disorders try....VITAMIN D HORMONE BLOCKS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS-LIKE SYMPTOMS IN MICE http://www.cals.wisc.edu/media/news/09_96/996ms.html VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENTATION IN THE FIGHT AGAINST MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS http://www.direct-ms.org/vitamind.html Be aware, that it is not considered a definate slow down of the progression, but rather suggests the possibility of. The first study was considered flawed and they are re-doing it.Try typing "Cod Liver Oil" in your favorite search engine and see what all comes back.Also Flax Seed Oil is considered as Omega 9.HTH - NickTSupport Autistic Research!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nick, thanks! You've given me a lot of reading to do.
Sorry, that was a typo on my part: I meant to say Calcium, not Vit. C, so I'll edit my post as to not confuse anyone. Nope, flax oil has mostly omega-3 in it and some -6 (that I know). It is olive oil, apparently, that has mostly omega-9. I take both of these.
[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
306 Posts
KateyKat; we must have been editing the same post at the same time. There are so many urls, that I would spend all day listing them. If you don't mind, go to the Google search engine. http://www.google.com and enter either fish oils treatment or cod liver oil treatment (no quotes) and track down what condition that you are interested in. I started with MS but as you will see there are many others.ie:Can Cod Liver Oil Help Prevent Diabetes? Norwegian Study Suggests It Might http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1728.61624 Cod Liver Oil is very popular in the treatment of autism and ADHD. http://www.megson.com/ http://www.whaleto.freeserve.co.uk/v/megson.html If you hate fish as I do, defineatly buy the capsules. (My cats wouldn't even eat the CLO when I put it on their dry food.)HipJan; mea culpa. Sorry about the Flax as Omega 9. You are correct, it is the Olive Oil that is considered as Omega 9, and the Flax as you say is 3-6.Have I mentioned my dyslexia problems?(g)Have a nice weekend everyone!NickTSupport Autistic Research! [This message has been edited by NickT (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, clearly the benefits of Cod Liver Oil are far reaching. Have taken CLO + Evening Primrose Oil combi in liquid form for years .. still do most days. Started it after a serious bout of 'flu had me in bed for a whole week. Surprising thing is that since taking it neither of us here have ever had the flu and that's in over 4 years with exposure to some pretty nasty viruses.As kids we were all 'forced' to take our daily ration .. despite the protests .. but now I think the advocates knew more than I.Course as ever there's still the concern about pollution w/ organophosphates :-(KKat

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Today there seem to be pros and cons about taking fish oil supplements. For one thing, there's side effects: if you have Gerd or even IBS D, tread lightly -- I was supposed to take it along with another supplement I was taking and for the time being, I've had to drop it. It makes me burp and burp and burp and burp, causes abdominal upset and diarrhea, and flatluence. I thought it was just me and so I looked it up on the net, and sure enough, heartburn and all those other effects were listed as side effects. Fish oil supplements have gained a lot of press for the benefits to the heart, but there are some cavaets, I saw, by that search (Nick, I also use Google -- ALWAYS! saves so much time!). It now says that in some cases, it can prevent blood from clotting, especially if you're taking certain kinds of medication. Put in "fish oil capsules" and see what you come up with. I don't remember all the cavaets, but it seems that that everything has been proven. One recommendation was to take the vitamin in the form of fish itself. [This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Here's something from the Berkeley Wellness Newsletter: � What about rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory disorders? "This may be where fish holds the most promise, though the research is preliminary. Fish oil may help relieve inflammatory symptoms of these auto-immune diseases by suppressing the immune response. More than a dozen studies have suggested that high doses of fish oil supplements taken long term and with pain medication can reduce joint swelling, ease morning stiffness, and lessen fatigue in people with rheumatoid arthritis. There is also some preliminary evidence that fish oil may help reduce the itching and redness of psoriasis, another auto-immune disease." HOWEVER: "Large doses of fish oil may suppress certain aspects of the immune system

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
yup, sounds pretty similar to flax oil. basically, we need a good balance of different types of essential fatty acids (EFAs). typically, in our modern diets, we don't get so much protective omega-3 anymore -- making us more prone to inflammation and other conditions. if we have too little omega-3, we may suffer. and, if we have too much omega-3 (which isn't a likely scenario for most of us), we also may suffer. what's important is the balance of omega-3 and other EFAs. however, "nobody" can quite agree on what that precise balance should be!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,I have been doing a lot of research about fish oil and the essential fatty acid, and their benefits for inflammation. Most of what I found refers to inflammation in Crohn's disease. I guess the idea of there being any inflammation in IBS (or at least in some cases) is still fairly new.Anyway, from what I found, only enteric coated capsules with "free" fatty acid form of EPA and DHA taken from fish oil seem to be helpful. Does anybody here have any idea what the word "free" means in this case? I have searched and searched, and can't find it.Thanks in advance,Edith

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am very big on Omega-3 at the moment.We get enough Omega 6 so don't worry about a supplement with that. Just go for one high in EPA and DHA fats.Cod Liver Oil is NOT ADVISABLE. It is not the vitamin D that will give you relief from IBS. You have to eat a lot higher amount of cod to get the same benefit that you get from Salmon or Sardines.I really encourage taking in a lot of Omega 3

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
yes (but believe it or not, too much omega-3, which is hard for most of us to do, can lead to the same inflammatory and other autoimmune problems!). walnuts are another good source of the veggie type of omega-3. salmon is one of the very best though. we're having salmon tonight!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.