Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow members,

I have had IBS-D for years now, and used Immodium to control it, but after talking to my doctor he has put me on the 75mg dosage of Viberzi which I take once or twice a day, depending on how much stress I have in my life.

It has greatly helped, but what I find is that I'm a little constipated now and again, and I no longer seem to have a full bowel movement. So, when I first started Viberzi my doctor told me to come off all non-medical supplements like psyllium husk powder, and so I did, but I was wondering whether I should maybe mix the 2 when and if needs be? Has anyone else tried this and are there any known dangers to doing this? I have searched the internet for any info on this, but have found none.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would not recomend using psyllium husk for IBS-D. About 30 percent of psyllium is insoluble fiber which acutally stimulates movment through the GI tract. PHGG would be a much better choice. I would rather not use the psyllium and lower the Viberzi dosing. The tablet can be split so if you want to use a lower does than 75mg that is possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the PHGG recommendation - I will give it a try! Actually I did ask my gastroenterologist about splitting the Viberzi tablet and he said no, that I should not, so I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Then it's best to stick with the instructions of your medical professional. There are no dangers to using fiber btw, your gastro likely just wanted to have a clean slate from which to work from and see how you would respond.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Be careful adding PHGG as it is likely to cause a bit of gas at the beginning. Personally I think psyllium would be the perfect fiber to take with Viberzi. A fiber like PHGG, which is non-bulk and non-viscous fiber won't directly help you go to the bathroom any more or any less. It will stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria which could help you improve regularity in the long run. Psyllium is a bulk forming fiber that relieves constipation and doesn't add much gas. If you try it, be sure to get a 100% pure psyllium fiber and not something that has sugars or additives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use psyllium fiber supplements for my IBS-D and it seems to relieve my D. I read in the label that it’s soluble fiber which is good for diarrhea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts