Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a cylce with Immodium? I know that like Kmmotus wrote to me its effect goes away and the reboung symptoms start. But I have been with D for 3 weeks straight and the only thing that controls it is the loperamide. OK, so why am I complaining? Because I usually do not get D everyday (at least it used to be one or twice a week only). Yesterday I had like 8 BM and I decided not to take anything, so maybe my bowels would clean. But today all of a sudden I got D again, no stress, no nothing. Of course I did not take any meds this morning because I did not think I was going to get it. I am seeing my doc soon, but I was wondering if somebody has experienced this on a constant basis.

G

·
Why are you so bent out of shape about taking maybe having to take 1 or 2 immodium every day? Some people have to take much stronger high blood pressure or diabetes medication every day to just to keep their system normal. Immodium is cheap, isn't addictive, doesn't have a lot of drug interactions, or side effects.

G

·
Why are you so bent out of shape about taking maybe having to take 1 or 2 immodium every day? Some people have to take much stronger high blood pressure or diabetes medication every day to just to keep their system normal. Immodium is cheap, isn't addictive, doesn't have a lot of drug interactions, or side effects.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slan, because I have noticed that now that I am taking it more I seem to be NEEDING it more too. That is what concerns me.About what other people take, well I am a lucky person I do not have any other conditions and I'm aware of it; I am just trying to get this under control and I think I have the right to ask.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slan, because I have noticed that now that I am taking it more I seem to be NEEDING it more too. That is what concerns me.About what other people take, well I am a lucky person I do not have any other conditions and I'm aware of it; I am just trying to get this under control and I think I have the right to ask.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I, and many other peeople on here, have noticed that your body seems to build a tolerance to Immodium. When I was on Lotronex I wasn't taking it, and after it got recalled
I found it took far less Immodium to work than it did before. I'm gradually getting a tolerance to it again, but I really try to take just enough to slow things now most of the time, rather than stop things all together.Other docs don't seem to follow this theory, but my GI doc is afraid I will eventually become inontinent if I take too much Immodium, and didn't want me taking more than 3 a week. From what others have said, and a couple of studies Kmottus posted, it seems that my doc is being pretty conservative. But I still don't want to risk it too much...he scared me!Fairly recently I tried to hold off an attack by taking Immodium...and it did practically nothing, and caused more pain. But if I wait til I'm almost empty, but the gut is still trying to push out every last bit, then a half or one Immmodium will usually stop that.Remember, we can share our experiences, but we don't replace your dr's advice.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I, and many other peeople on here, have noticed that your body seems to build a tolerance to Immodium. When I was on Lotronex I wasn't taking it, and after it got recalled
I found it took far less Immodium to work than it did before. I'm gradually getting a tolerance to it again, but I really try to take just enough to slow things now most of the time, rather than stop things all together.Other docs don't seem to follow this theory, but my GI doc is afraid I will eventually become inontinent if I take too much Immodium, and didn't want me taking more than 3 a week. From what others have said, and a couple of studies Kmottus posted, it seems that my doc is being pretty conservative. But I still don't want to risk it too much...he scared me!Fairly recently I tried to hold off an attack by taking Immodium...and it did practically nothing, and caused more pain. But if I wait til I'm almost empty, but the gut is still trying to push out every last bit, then a half or one Immmodium will usually stop that.Remember, we can share our experiences, but we don't replace your dr's advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.