Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Vicodin to slow things down? I have pills from a recent surgery - I didn't take them because the pain was never that great. But I'm really considering taking one this weekend. I'm going away with my boyfriend on a white water rafting trip. This translates to 8 hours of driving, followed by 10 hours on the river in a raft for both Saturday and Sunday, and then another 8 hours of driving. The only way I can see getting through it without my IBS completely wreaking havoc is to take more constipating medicine or not to eat very much. To make matters worse, it is my time of the month, which means my IBS symptoms are 10 times worse than usual. To put it in perspective, yesterday I had 9 rounds of D
. Anyway, I was thinking of trying the Vicodin but wasn't sure if I should just take half a pill or a whole. Any thoughts or experiences about it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I wouldn't take a sedating narcotic you are not used to if you are going on a river rafting trip. If you are too drowsy and fall in you might not be able to make sure your head stays above the water.I would stick with Imodium which has the same exact constipating side effect of narcotic pain medications, but stays in the gut rather than get into the CNS.If you have never taken it before you have no idea how loopy or how much loss of judgment you may have (some peopel are fine, sometimes it is like drinking a lot of alcohol) and being that impaired if you are expected to do any of the driving or spend anytime in the river is probably not a good idea.Especially if you take these really strong narcotics when you do not have any pain. Usually the more pain you have the less they loop you out, but there is a reason why people take them to get high when they don't have pain and there is no way to know what dose would make you so stoned out of your gourd you would be a risk to yourself or others on the river.I've taken them for surgery and the only thing I would do for both days is sleep and when I am awake I don't really have a good awareness of what I am doing. If you do take these DO NOT DRIVE even if you think you are OK, because you probably are not and do not be in charge of doing anything on the raft. If I knew you took those you would not get a paddle, you would not be allowed to cook anything and someone else would probably be assigned to be your minder for the entire trip. It just can make you impaired enough you could do something risky without realizing it. I usually don't even cook when I'm on it during recovery from surgery other than put something in the microwave. At least when it takes me awhile to remember I heated something up it is cool enough by then to eat.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Caputsky I would take imodium instead. And only use Vicodan for pain and NOT when you are on such a trip. Just isnt a safe thing hon. Yet the imodium is fine to use. So take some imodium. Play around with how much you need now before the trip. I take it with meals with an anti gas agent. I also have to break them in half or even quarters sometimes to avoid constipation. So try different doses and see what seems to work best for you. Also you could try also taking Calcium Carbonate. (See Linda's Thread under "Important Topics" at the top of this forum.)In any event hope you have an awesome time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.