Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, has the day actually come? My friend heard on the radio that you can swallow a pill which has a camera inside it to record 8 hours of your internals where the colonoscopy and the endoscopy can't go. The doctor is offering this for C$2500; cost of the pill itself <I think> was C$900 of that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My doc does it, but says that if the camera pill finds an abnormality, they still have to do the regular scope. Ewwww. He also said that, at least the one he uses, it's best for viewing the small bowel. So, lucky me, I get to have the standard colonoscopy next week. But after that, if he wants to look further at my small intestine, I think I'll beg for the camera thingy!!
AnneMarie

·
Registered
225 Posts
AnneMarie writes: My doc does it, but says that if the camera pill finds an abnormality, they still have to do the regular scope. Ewwww. He also said that, at least the one he uses, it's best for viewing the small bowel. So, lucky me, I get to have the standard colonoscopy next week. But after that, if he wants to look further at my small intestine, I think I'll beg for the camera thingy!! AnneMarie *** Cool beans! I'm hoping for no abnormalities. If it shows some abnormalities I'm all for having the regular scope if needed. I just dread the thought of it and will be begging for the "camera thingy"...Good luck with your colonoscopy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes, the video pill is a great thing, but it is currently only used for visualizing the small intestine, an area up until now that has not been able to be directly visualized except at the very ends (duodenum on the upper, terminal ileum on the lower). Colonoscopy is still required for large bowel imaging. Unfortunately. JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.