Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,I had viral gastro a few weeks back...as did pretty much everyone in my masters course at uniI got over it pretty quick, and was feeling normal again around day 10.... Had about 2 weeks feeling pretty good and then one evening suddenly felt quite nauseated whilst eating.In the 9 days since I've tended more towards being a bit constipated (which has basically never happened to me) and just felt nauseated, I also had quite nasty pain for a few days but the pain has gone now....does this sort of thing ever happen post-viral? I've never had symptoms like this... pain was more around the stomach as is the nausea...its particularly strong nausea in the morning but I havent actually vomited from it yet. I basically dont feel like going to the loo either.Advice? I tried to keep eating fibre etc but honestly much more than bland food makes me queasy just from the smell. I've tired increasing my wwater intake and even had some electrolyte fluid stuff just incase....so I dont think its dehydration.I suspect its gastritis of one form or other...I'm just not sure what to treat it with....i can take zofran but that slows you down and I'm not sure thats a good thing right now...the other antiemetics give me esophageal spasm.... already on a probiotic that seems to work well...but at the moment my stomach just feels raw and nauseated all the time....I'm a tiny bit bloated but not much...If anyone got a useful suggestion it would be great...I'm getting pretty fed up....

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
GI infections (of any kind) do seem to trigger functional GI problems. For gastritis usually they do a PPI or H2 blocker. Have you tried either over the counter prilosec or zantac? (assuming they are available where you are, I'm in the US and both are over the counter).Some people do well with ginger for nausea and it usually doesn't have the drowsy side effects. Either capsules or a fresh ginger tea.If it keeps up you may need to check with the doctor and have an upper endoscopy to see if it is gastritis or if anything else got triggered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably should have mentioned....I take Pariet (Rabeprazole) havent tried any zantac etc....yes theyre available here in Aus....I can try getting hold of some tommorrow...but wouldnt that be redundant if I'm on a PPI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.