Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone out there had a virtual colonoscopy?What is it like and is it pain free? I believe they fill you full of CO2. Is this a simple proceedure?Thinking about going for one as my Dr doesn't wish to refer me for a regular one?ThanksDave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dave,I've never had one, but I have heard that they're really a minor event compared to a regular one. I am not at all an expert, but the articles I've read about the virtual colonoscopy say that they're not nearly as accurate as a regular one. In fact, one article (I think it was in Men's Health magazine) says that the virtual kind is almost a waste of time and money because of it's inability to detect and produce the same results of a conventional colonoscopy. Again, I am NOT an expert. Maybe do a little research online and see what you can find out? Why won't your doctor refer you for a regular one? Good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I thought in the comparision trials people comfort-wise prefered the virtual colonscopy.It is less painful so they do not sedate you and getting filled up with air can be uncomfortable for some people.
quote:How do patients compare the tests? Two studies have evaluated patient preferences by measuring discomfort, feelings of disrespect or embarrassment, and which test they would rather have. Both studies found that patients preferred conventional colonoscopy in all three categories. In both studies, patients received sedation for the conventional colonoscopy, but not for the virtual test, which is standard, but may have an affect on patient preferences. It is important to consider that virtual colonoscopy is a diagnostic procedure, and if a polyp is detected, the patient would then need to undergo conventional colonoscopy to remove the polyp. Some suggest that this be done on the same day to avoid the need for a second bowel prep, but this may be unrealistic in busy medical centers. http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW...ml?d=dmtContent
quote:Is the procedure painful? Since the procedure uses a non-invasive technique, most patients do not feel any severe pain. Most patients describe the discomfort as feeling “bloated" Some patients may feel cramping similar to gas pains. If present, the “gas cramping pain" lasts about 3-4 minutes and subsides once the manual pumping of room air stops. The “bloated" feeling should pass within 30 minutes and leave no lasting effect.http://bamc.vcscreen.com/health/ptq.html
Additionally if they see anything funny that may indicate something other than IBS you probably will have to have a regular colonoscopy to collect biopsies so they can diagnose the problem.Check with your insurance to see if they would even cover this if you do not get refered by your doctor for it. If your symptoms are very clearly IBS and you have no red flags for anything else (your blood tests are clear, no inexplicable weight loss, etc.) it is most likely an un-necessary test and in some studies doing a bunch of un-needed tests tends to make IBS worse with no benefit to the patient.K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kath, I have to agree with you, all my bloods etc. were clear, however I was still sent for colonoscopy, which was also normal, but I havent felt quite the same since having it, which was nearly two weeks ago. I was definitely IBS-D before colonoscopy but since ive been back its alternate of IBS C + D ??? I wouldnt want to put anyone off having the test done though, because it might be needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.