Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of being on disability is trying to work with the vocational rehab people who attempt to match jobs with ones capabilities.I explained the IBS(D) situation and other limitations. A raft of the usual vocational and interest tests followed. I was very specific in not wanting to work with indigent people but rather with "things". I guess they didn't understand or look at any of any of it or consider my advanced degrees.Their suggestion: How about working part time transporting disabled elderly to the hospital.Didn't they understand the need of someone who is severe IBS(d) for a nearby toilet? Why didn't they suggest being an over the road truck driver as well? Incredible. It is frustrating trying to get the message across about IBS(D). They didn't even consider that fact that I had to leave 3 times in the course of a couple hours to go to the bathroom. They just don't get it!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
sorry to hear that angry. poeple a lot of times are unsympathetic for sure when it comes to IBS and a lot don't even know it exists.That is certainly not a compatible job for severe IBS d, did they have any other job recommendations for you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
sorry to hear that angry. poeple a lot of times are unsympathetic for sure when it comes to IBS and a lot don't even know it exists.That is certainly not a compatible job for severe IBS d, did they have any other job recommendations for you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They had no other job suggestions at the moment. Part of the problem clearly is what, if anything, is feasible. Their forte isn't in dealing with this type of disability. The level of skill testing provided was mostly: "Can you place this shaped block in it's matching hole?" I found it humiliating.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They had no other job suggestions at the moment. Part of the problem clearly is what, if anything, is feasible. Their forte isn't in dealing with this type of disability. The level of skill testing provided was mostly: "Can you place this shaped block in it's matching hole?" I found it humiliating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.