Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last November I was officially diagnosed with IBS, I told him all my symptoms yadda yadda yadda, but I keep seeing on all these sites that a symptom that I told him was listed under: NOT typical of IBS. For years I've been in a dead sleep and woken up because of the pain and/or having to go to the restroom. It happens quite a bit. The pain is so bad most of the time that I contemplate calling the hospital, but after several hours it passes and I fall back asleep. I told my doctor about this the first time I talked to him along with all my other symptoms and everything was fine...he said I had IBS and blah blah blah. But every site information I read says it's not a symptom of IBS. So I was curious if I should get a second opinion with my new doctor or if I'm just reading too much into these other sites? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well awhile ago I found the data that "red flag" is based on.Like most thing it isn't a 100% symptom A is disease B and 100% no symptom A is some other disease.For the red flags they looked at what % of healthy people have X, what % of people with IBS have X and what % of people with other GI illnesses have X.For this one most of the pain that wakes you up at night is those with GERD even though that often is more upper abdominal than lower abdominal. Laying down means the acid doesn't have gravity help keeping it where it belongs.I may not remember the exact numbers but it kinda was about this.Healthy controls--5% ever have pain that wakes them at night.IBS patients--25% ever have pain that wakes them at night.Other GI illnesses (including GERD) 40% had that symptom.So it isn't a case where it cannot be IBS if you have this symptom, but that by itself that symptom is more common in other illnesses.If you just have that symptom and everything else is clearly typical of IBS I wouldn't go nuts trying to find something else. But if you have frequent heartburn, or bloody stools or other non-IBS symptoms the I'd make sure to have that checked out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.