Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any smokers out there-how does this affect your ibs symptoms? I know, I know-I have tried quitting and really, really, really should...but in the meantime it seems to help me out-let me explain. Every morning after breakfast I have a cup of coffee and a cigarette...within minutes I am visiting the bathroom for my daily "cleanse". After that I am good for the rest of the day (most days are like this). I suppose the nicotine speeds up the parastalsis! (Boy-with my last post on alcohol y'all are going to think that I have many bad habits!) P.S. I have quit in the past for six months-the symptoms-(D) did not go away.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nicotine is a stimulant and some C people have mentioned that a cig will help them go.Coffee is anothe rthing that makes people go, so your system is getting a double whammy. I'm a D-type, and often will have to go within an hour or so of waking up, especially if I have a bowl of cereal to eat.Don't keep smoking just to affect your bowel. There are so many negative effects of smoking, and I'm sure you can find solutions that don't involve the cigarettes. The coffee alone, or coffee and some cereal with fiber in it, may also do the trick.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nicotine is a stimulant and some C people have mentioned that a cig will help them go.Coffee is anothe rthing that makes people go, so your system is getting a double whammy. I'm a D-type, and often will have to go within an hour or so of waking up, especially if I have a bowl of cereal to eat.Don't keep smoking just to affect your bowel. There are so many negative effects of smoking, and I'm sure you can find solutions that don't involve the cigarettes. The coffee alone, or coffee and some cereal with fiber in it, may also do the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.