Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone knows of a therapist in the greater L.A. area (or Orange County) who understands IBS problems, please let me know! I've been dealing with this for 10 1/2 years (I'm D, with lotsa G). It affects every aspect of my life. My relationship is suffering very badly, I'm afraid of the future (how am I going to earn a living), and I'm just tired of feeling disgusting, alone, and constantly worried. I'm only 25 and want to learn how to NOT let this problem get the best of me. My D can somewhat be controlled with Immodium (I should buy stock), but the G is the real problem. I'm one of those "constant emitters". I'm not even aware that it's being emitted (until people let me know)so I have absolutely no control. Food avoidance does not work. I'm at home caring for my newborn right now, but the thought of returning to the workplace (even part-time) fills me with dread. I love my baby, but I'm not cut out to be a full-time stay-at-home mom, either. I have a Master's degree, darn it, and I'm very skilled. But, none of that matters. Help!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paloma,Welcome to the board. Is this your first post since you joined in April?I hope you will get the help you need......------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Paloma:I'm not in the LA area so I don't know the answer to your question. Are you with an HMO? If you call them and explain what type of therapist you're looking for they should be able to refer you. If you're not with an HMO your regular insurance provider should have that kind of info.Welcome to the Board! Let us know if you find anyone.
Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paloma,I'm presuming the therapy is for your relationship? If so, a good therapist will be able to understand your IBS without necessarily having a background in it.I've been going to a therapist for anxiety & he didn't know much about IBS but I educated him on it. You can ask the therapist if he/she has treated others patients with physical illnesses in addition to the reason they're there for therapy. The key is the therapist being willing to understand the symptoms of IBS and be supportive of the disorder. If a therapist is not willing to support that it's a medical disorder then that's not the therapist for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can recommend a good gastroenterologist in the L.A. area:Dr. Theodore Stein, MD250 N. Robertson Blvd., Suite 506Beverly Hills, CA(310)385-3506

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.