Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from an e-pal who goes to see Dr Starlanyl. She lives in Vermont. Thought I would pass this on, for thought. http://www.sover.net/~devstar/ Hi all,I went to Dr. Devin Starlanyls support group tonight & just thought I wouldpass along a little info.First off, the 1st March on Washington will not be until May 11th, 2002.Devin says we WILL be heard!The guest speaker tonite was Mary Ellen Copeland (she wrote Devins bookswith her)& I just wanted to mention a few of her new books. The 1st one is"Healing the trauma of abuse", the 2nd one is "The Loneliness Workbook"this deals with how friends get sick of us being sick & tend to distancethemselves & what to do about the resulting loneliness. The 3rd book reallyimpressed me although I haven't read it yet, the subject seems to me veryimportant. It is "Winning Against Relapse" & deals with finding & dealingwith your triggers. Section 5 of the book is for those in your family, whatthey need to do when you can just not do anything.Also I got copies of actual proof of metamemory & cognitive function inthose with FM. It seems those with FM test the same as older people & worsewhen compared to people your own age. Like we needed someone to tell usthis right? Well it is nice to know there is proof finally.Tonight we learned that they are learning alot about the thalamus & how itis not working right in FM'ers.It seems we are stuck in either a startle mode or a freeze mode, like adeer in a headlight. The thalamus is not getting enough blood flow. In FM,one of the first axes, or balances in the body that seem to becomedysfunctional is the HPA axis-the balance that exists between thehypothalamus, pituitary & adrenal glands. The thalamus is located above &is associated with the hypothalamus which helps regulate the autonomicnervous system, & with the pineal gland. The thalamus is a translator &communicates with many areas of the brain. It takes impulses from sensoryreceptors to the cerebral cortex & from there to the spinal cord. In thecortex these bioelectric impulses are translated into touch, vision, sound,taste, pain & temperature during times when the brain is in waking mode(that includes alpha states which can disrupt FM sleep). The thalamus isalso involved in our emotional responses to those perceptions. What theyare finding is that NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptor inhibitors such asdextromethorphan & an opiad gives twice the amount of painkiller withoutthe side effects. The thalamus is spurred into activity by L-glutamate &L-aspartate. Note* aspartame (nutra sweet) activates the neurotransmitters& causes more pain. The spinothalamic tract may be the main ascendingpathway for muscle pain in the spinal cord. It also affects skin & gutpain. They are learning alot about the mechanisms of pain in FM & MPS &hopefully it won't be long before they will be able to treat the painbetter.Also note* this is still research & your Dr. will probably not knowanything about this if you were to ask him.Devin also stated that FM is 100's of things out of balance. I thought thatabout summed it up. There is a problem with the neurotransmitters but Devin said itwas a central nervous system disorder.I think that summed it up. Lots of things out of bablance. But I can't helpthink they have their thumb on it. I have always felt it was an endocrineproblem as all my glands seem to be affected. This problem with the mainglands in the brain would explain that. I can't help feeling they are soclose. Nan, That was my understanding of it. Our bodies are frozen & so ouradrenal glands & such basically burn out way too soon. Our muscles aretensed & all the other good things that happen don't take a break.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have had to quickly scan & run Star but think what you learned & what I learned from (see my post on researchers talk) supporters the evidence that researchers in different areas are starting to reach some very worthwhile conclusions. Yea like that "megamemory" bit, or guys said something similar. It's not the short term memory that's the problem, it's the working memory, calling it up is just all too hard, too much of an effort, 'cause we just don't have the right electric/chemical stimulus's going for us. Think the up & coming World Conference this year might see some positive advancements and hopefully finally blow some of the depression type anomalies out of the water. Have to say our speakers did despair of the APATHY medical profession generally AND THEY'RE PART OF IT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.