Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone:I've been suffering from IBS-C for the last 3-4 years and it has truly made work miserable. I was a promising trial attorney but these days I can rarely make it out of the house because I'm miserable with straining, cramping, TRAPPED GAS and bloating, and nausea. My bosses have done their best to be understanding but the stress and depression I get from the work politics, not being able to put in the hours at work, and not being able to perform to the best of my abilities only make the IBS worse. I've begun to consider working from home but the reality is that those law school loans don't disappear because my IBS keeps me from practicing law. I'm looking for good work-from-home options, law related or otherwise, that will help me keep up with that hefty loan payment. I'll consider just about anything. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am a law student, ready to graduate. I have IBS-D and struggle daily. I have explored options about what to do in the future for work since I developed this last year in my 2nd year. Here are some suggestions:Clerking for a firm or a judge,Contacting attorneys and offering to do their legal research, memorandums, proposed orders for them at a discounted rate.Some "law school readiness" programs need on line instructors to grade homework, etc. How about tutoring law students? Also, have you looked into other types of work that is not the typical legal stuff like non-profits? Good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a friend who has a nursing background - and she started a home business reviewing claims, depositions, etc. - from a medical standpoint - for attorneys. I guess she researches testimony for medical accuracy/liklihood - or something along these lines. She has more business than she can handle. I realize you probably don't have a medical background, but there are probably creative ways to use your legal skills in a consulting capacity of some sort. I've worked extensively with attorneys, and many of them are really sloppy in the documents they prepare - and don't even talk to me about their writing skills - or lack thereof. Most attorneys (especially in the family law division - which is prone to paper-intensive litigation)take on too many cases and really can't and don't keep up. There has to be a way to capitalize on any/all of these deficiencies.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hope to be a writer, I'm working on my first novel at the moment. I'd also like to be a rich housewife in a house with many bathrooms!
I can't imagine going out to work every day. I'm in my 4th year at uni and have worked full-time over the summers. This year I worked in an office and it was HELL, I was taking Immodium and Diazepam every few hours and I couldn't eat so I lost a stone in 2 months. Being trapped in a workplace makes my IBS much worse. It's the thought of people finding out that makes me so jittery. Also I have social anxiety disorder so I'm constantly on edge.Other jobs I've considered:Freelance writing jobs (like magazine articles)Own business (but not sure about the risks!)Dog breederI've no idea what to do when I finsih uni, in fact the thought terrifies me! I think I just have to find some job and stick it out for a year or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.