Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Wanting Info!

410 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  J&KMom 
#1 ·
I know this isn't a medical website but I figure who best to ask then people who suffer with it everyday! OK it all started when I was picking on my hubby about using the bathroom so much and he said you should at least have a bowel movement everday. I told him that only men have one everyday, but come to find out you should at least have 3 bowel movements a week. Then it hit me that I only have 1 bowel movement every 2 or 3 weeks. This has been going on since my daughter was born and she is 5. I just thought it was normal. I have very bad abdominal pains and get lots of trapped gas. It is also very painful when I do finally use the restroom, I feel bloated, and I never feel empty. I recently brought it up to my Doc who gave me a ultrasound and found nothing wrong with the gallbladder. He wants to do more test but I can't afford that. Does anyone know if it can get worse without medical attention and do you think it could be IBS. I just don't want to be a hypercondriact. PLEASE HELP!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah you do need to go to the bathroom atleast once a day.. all the problems i was having, was due to constipation.. because it just sits there and rots.. causing you to be sick. my urologist said it was due to my IBS-C.. so add fiber to your diet(if you're IBS-C) but as always.. check with a doctor.. And don't cry, you'll be fine.
I'm a certified Hypochondriac. so i know the terror. but call your doctor as soon as you have time.

#2 ·
Yeah you do need to go to the bathroom atleast once a day.. all the problems i was having, was due to constipation.. because it just sits there and rots.. causing you to be sick. my urologist said it was due to my IBS-C.. so add fiber to your diet(if you're IBS-C) but as always.. check with a doctor.. And don't cry, you'll be fine.
I'm a certified Hypochondriac. so i know the terror. but call your doctor as soon as you have time.

#4 ·
This sounds like slow transit constipation is a possibility. You may have IBS on top of that with the pain and discomfort.Sometimes the slow transit thing can get bad enough that the colon stops completely, and they may need to do surgery, but that is last ditch and not everyone ends up there.Usually they treat slow transit with lower fiber (it isn't good to have 2 weeks worth of fiber in there) and osmotic laxatives to keep things soft and moving.Talk to the doctor and see if they are willing to give you a go with miralax to see if that will keep things moving (Milk of Magnesia is an osmotic that is over the counter) these things won't make you go quickly, but need some time to get working.Hope you feel better soon.K.

#5 ·
This sounds like slow transit constipation is a possibility. You may have IBS on top of that with the pain and discomfort.Sometimes the slow transit thing can get bad enough that the colon stops completely, and they may need to do surgery, but that is last ditch and not everyone ends up there.Usually they treat slow transit with lower fiber (it isn't good to have 2 weeks worth of fiber in there) and osmotic laxatives to keep things soft and moving.Talk to the doctor and see if they are willing to give you a go with miralax to see if that will keep things moving (Milk of Magnesia is an osmotic that is over the counter) these things won't make you go quickly, but need some time to get working.Hope you feel better soon.K.

#8 ·
First check the side effects of any meds you may be on also. Even over the counter things can cause some problems. If you take calcium for sure this could bind you up.Linda

#9 ·
First check the side effects of any meds you may be on also. Even over the counter things can cause some problems. If you take calcium for sure this could bind you up.Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.