Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
This is a continuation of a thread I started last week, but I thought I'd post a new topic in hopes of hearing from additional ppl with librax experience. here's the link to my thread from last week: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=028967 SO i'm returning to my old college real soon after a 2-3 years of battling ibs, and went to my gi in hopes that he'd try out one more medication on me that would have a high likelihood of improving my symptoms during the semester.after posting my thread and hearing everyone's suggestions, i asked him about remeron. he didn't seem to think it was a good idea, at least at this time. he thought and thought and thought, and i could tell he wanted to try something that could really work for me.and he came up with librax. because of the advice i'd recieved about librax from the thread, i was very unenthusiastic about the idea, but i stopped short of disagreeing with my doctor (maybe i should've); so he has prescribed me librax; he said play around with it a little and find out if it's more effective for me to take at bedtime, in the morning, or both. now i don't know what i'm going to do. my classes start in 2 weeks and i *cannot* be physically or mentally shaky during the semester, especially in the nervous beginning- i have been battling years of fear/anxiety related to having D and P in the classroom and have learned to manage things somewhat...i cannot afford to start up with severe problems for any reason now. On top of not knowing whether librax would work for me, and that I may struggle with withdrawal and symptoms if I try to get off, I'm terrified about the side effects that were described to me. I can't afford to be regularly drowsy, I just went thru that with Elavil last spring; I'm terrified of the fact that it's habit-forming, I easily get addicted to things behaviorly; and most of all, i definitely cannot deal with any memory problems, being back in a tough school again.what on earth should i do??? i don't want to disobey my gi's prescription and not take it; but i can't afford to deal with side effects or wavering symptoms during this extremely important period of time.they way i see it, i could:a- not take it. i still struggle with D & P every morning, but i'm okay enough where i'm productive everyday, albeit losing some hours every morning.b- take it cautiously and come off of it within a week if i don't like its effects: i have 2 weeks til classes start, so doing this is feasible; but if i have any lingering withdrawal effects or D attacks from the transition, it could foul things up in the beginning of the semester, which i'm terrified of.c- just take it and stop worrying so much, i'll be fine.also, i'm in the beginning of mike's hypno program, and being that anxiety is huge for my ibs, i'm hopeful that it will help me greatly once i'm far into it.what do you all think??? please, suggestions would be a real help for me here. i don't know what i'm going to do. i've been fighting uphill for 2-3 years just to get back to this point and i don't need anything to mess this up now. on the other hand, i still have D & P everyday and am constantly looking to find the "thing" that works for me, and who knows maybe librax may be it. thanks for reading and listening, guys. and thanks as always for all of your help.meth

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
methical, I lived on librax for years, for me it was a very mellow drug, probably way more mellow the remeron, but I have not taken that one.I say go for it, as I said its pretty mild, I did not have any effects personally when I went off it and as a side effect it gave me dry mouth some, but it wasn't a big deal. Two weeks should give you time to see how you fair with it. You need to be a little careful with it, but I think you should give it a try as it can be helpful to some people.Here is some info. http://www.gicare.com/pated/chlordiazepoxide_clidinium.htm I don't think really you will have any major problems with this, but everyone reacts to drugs differently, but its not a real real powerful medication, it is a mild sedative though in part. It is also an anti spasmatic and might help the gut from going into spasms.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
After being in pain for over a year, Librax was prescribed for me. It was a wonder drug for me. I started feeling better immediately. I had no drowsiness or loss of memory at all. I had a little dry mouth the first few doses, then it subsided. I took it for a month 3 times a day. That was 2 years ago. I had no problem with stopping it. I still take it now, but only on an as-needed basis. This drug has been just wonderful for me.Good luck.Stacey

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
I think you would do best to stick with what your doctor says on this. in my experience it's a prettymild generic that's been used for years for a lot of minor pain and anxiety problems. I don't think its addictive, but that's the question you should ask your doctor.tom

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I personally have had a bad experience on Librax. It left me with a bad memory, before taking it I had the memory of an elephant. It also screwed up my equilibrium. I also went through terrible withdrawl from it. I don't recommend it at all. This is my opinion only. I loved Remeron. It is non-addictive and I found it to be very effective. I would go into it more but I am having a really busy day at work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im on Librax, I just started it like a week ago. So far it hasnt really done much for me. Pamine seemed to work about the best. My doctor perscribed that I take it 3x a day, one before each meal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Option C, definitely. Your over thinking this and driving yourself nuts. It won't neccessarily make you drowsy. But if it does, it will be not even close to Remeron. Try it for several days because the drowsiness should go away, if you get it. if it doesnt, decrease the dose/timing. If it is intolerable, quit. No harm done. Nothing bad is gonna happen. Its safe. It has a "low" potential for addiction, because it contains a benzodiazepine (anti-anxiety), according to whoever decides that nonsense. Don't worry about addiction..or withdrawal..when you no longer need it/like it, you can taper off of it. It is a LOT milder than Remeron, thats for sure. I've done my share of sedatives/hypnotics and tranquilizers, legal and illegal, and I have to say that Remeron is the strongest, by far, and lasts very very long. I can easily sleep 14 hours on it and be kinda drowsy the whole next day, up to and including when I dose the next night...So it is like being perpetually drowsy. No wait, it IS perpetual drowsiness. I know people who would love to get Remeron. Once the recreational communitity discovers this stuff, I think a lot of abuse is going to occur. I am sick and tired of it, myself. To say it is "non-addictive" when anxiety meds are considered addictive is ridiculous. Fortunately I am not inclined to such things (addiction). But being so scared about it, I don't think you'll have much of a problem on Librax. You may even like it for the first few days. (Gasp) haha. Good luck with it. Librax will help two parts of the problem, since it is an anti-spasmodic and an anti-anxiety med, in one.And thats why a lot of people have such good results with it.slacker

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I disagree about the Remeron. You are only tired for the first few weeks. It goes away. It also depends on the mgs. I took Remeron for a year and a half. It was great for the IBS. I had NO problem stopping cold turkey.Librax however made me have withdrawal for a month and a half. My eyeballs were sunken into the back of my head I looked like a herion addict. The withdrawal made me hallucinate and convulse for the whole montha nd a half. I was scared I was stuck like that. It did major damage to my memory and my equalibrium. Of course this is my own personal experience. It is a very chemically dependant drug. You can feel it if you miss a dose. I took Librax for years. Maybe that is why I had such a bad reaction - who knows? All I know is that I wouldn't let any friend of mine touch the stuff. The first few weeks of being on Librax you will feel tired and drugged. On Remeron it is just tiredness that goes away.Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't think it's right for people to make comments like:
quote: The first few weeks of being on Librax you will feel tired and drugged
None of us can say how someone else will react to a medication. We all have different bodies that react differently. For instance, I said and will say again that I was fine on Librax. Never once during the month that I took it daily did I experience any "tiredness" or "drugged" feeling, but that doesn't mean that someone else might not experience it. I recently discovered my boss at work has been taking Librax for years. No problem for her, either. No side effects. She had to stop abruptly when she was diagnosed with cancer in order to start chemo, and had no withdrawal symptoms.It's fine to share experiences about YOUR reaction to certain drugs but I don't think it's fair to spook someone by telling them they will have "this or that" reaction. Stacey

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your candid comments and advice everyone, please by all means, keep them coming.i am still unsure what i am going to do. i'm leaving for pittsburgh tomorrow morning, so if i do start it will be tomorrow nite.could you guys describe to me your symptoms right before starting librax as well? what to do, what to do
methical

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
methical, if you are really concerned ask your doctor about it again. You can also call a pharmacist and ask about the drug they are usally very helpful.The reaction lotronexlover had is not a common reaction at all and this drug is prescribe all the time for IBS it is a very common drug and again a very mild one.Before I started taking it my symptomss were very severe pain c and d and although it helped some, it didn't really work all that well for me personaly, but I know it has helped others and it did help me some with spasms.I really don't think it will be probelmatic for you and the side effects go away pretty quick if you have any at all.The best thing is to talk to your doctor about it and tell him your concerns about it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Librax is my best friend. I have been on it for over 2 years now and it's the best thing I ever did. I still have flare-ups, but they are stress induced or self-induced (making the wrong food choices).I have no side effects from the Librax. I also take 30 mg of Prozac and 75 of elavil. I am just now bumping those two up because of some stress and depression I'm going through at my doctor's advice yesterday but expect to reduce them back down once my husband is well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My point was that Remeron has "abuse potential," not that it is physically addictive or psychologically addictive (which any drug/thing can be.) For example, LSD, unlike heroin, is not physically addictive, and thus lacks physical withdrawal symptoms. However, LSD certainly has abuse potential, and it could also be psychologically addictive. Despite what some of the proponents may say, most of the anti-depressants have abuse potential and possible withdrawal. If you don't believe this or see how, I'd be happy to explain it for you. It has been documented, as well. The withdrawal symptoms, for some people, can be mild to severe. Remeron included. Personally, I got insomnia for 3 days and that electric shock thing. Compared with Remeron, the effect of a Librax is not going to be near as "powerful."And it certainly won't last as long. My point being that if methical is apprehensive about taking meds, which I TOTALLY understand, to say Librax is "worse" than Remeron is open to debate. "Powerful" and "worse" are not the right words at all.. but I'm tired and you know what I mean. The tiredness with Remeron goes away in a few weeks WHEN YOU TAKE IT EVERYDAY. Otherwise, No. Abuse potential. Sleeping pills, anyone? Abuse potential, physical dependence, psychological dependence, addiction, etc., are not all synonymous. Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I am not against anti-depressants, or any drug of any kind. I just think its good if people have the real picture on what they are taking. I'm also not just trying to start an argument, my goal here is the previous sentence. But if someone wants to "discuss" something, I'm down.slacker

·
Registered
144 Posts
My husband was prescribed librax for IBS. He had no side effects but it also did nothing. The ONLY thing that has worked for him is Questran. It has completely stopped the diarrhea for over a year without one problem. He was nearly chained to the toilet for a very long time. It has been the biggest blessing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Stace - This is why I keep saying "MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE" and "IN MY OPINION ONLY".So, I think it is fair for me to say what ever I experienced on this drug. At first it made me "out of it". I took it for years and when I stopped those were the effects it had on me. It is just as fair as everyone else saying they loved it and that was their experience with it. I only tell people my experience because I wouldn't wish it on any one else.I think Remeron is absolutely wonderful for IBS. Others say they don't like the sleepy effect in the beginning. Whatever. It is fair to say what ever is on your mind.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Lotronex Lover - I understand your experience and I don't fault you for sharing it. What I objected to was this sentence in your above post:
quote: The first few weeks of being on Librax you will feel tired and drugged.
You didn't say "I felt..." but instead said "you will feel....." and I objected because none of us can say how anyone else will do on a medication. Maybe you could edit that line to read "The first few weeks of being on Librax I felt tired and drugged."

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
OK, I will revise my post to say. I felt tired and drugged in the beginning. Most people I know have had the same side effect. Librax contains a benzodiazepine called chlora-something or other ,can't remember drug name, (which is a sedative - hypnotic). You may or not have these side effects.By the way, did you decide to take the Librax? If so, how did you feel?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I haven't started taking it yet. Each time I read thru these posts, I'm left with the impression that I should just go ahead and not worry so much. But then I worry about the bad scenarios that are possible, especially about feeling uneasy in *any* way when classes start on Monday; my anxiety related to being in a classroom is pretty severe. On the one hand, the Librax could very well be *the* thing to keep my classroom anxieties stable- on the other hand, I'm worried that it may just jumble up the limited progress I've made with my symptoms and anxieties up to this point.Each night, I'd consider starting it up, and then would think of those possible bad results and would put it off another night. It also doesn't help that I regularly smoke marijuana to keep my symptoms at bay (thus the fear of memory side effects with Librax, not what I need).You're right Eric, I should give my doctor a call and let him in on my worries. I called CVS Pharmacy this morning and their answer to everything was basically "I don't know, everyone reacts differently."*sigh*...I *am* thinking and re-thinking whether I should take this too much though, I should either do it or not do it asap.Could you guys tell me a little about what your symptoms were like before starting Librax? Maybe I'll see some correlation between my symptoms and others, and be either more comforted/more cautious about starting it.Thanks for all the help, everyone. By all means, don't hesitate to add your two cents, I really need all the advice I could get.Methical

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Methical,My symptoms were pain and trapped gas. Librax worked like a charm by relaxing the spasms. The pain then disappeared and I was able to pass the gas.Keep in mind that even if you do have side effects (as you know I didn't), often that is only for the first few doses and then they are gone. You could try taking it and if it doesn't work on your symptoms, then don't continue taking it.It worked right away for me. Within a few hours after the first dose, the pain I had been experiencing for months gave way. Stacey

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Methical , first how you doing on the tapes?Second, I smoked some pot on this a long time ago pretty regularly and it just added to cotton mouthand a little drowsiness, but that was it. Side effects if any usually last around two weeks.You would have already been finding out really how it effected you, better now then in school really so you know, but I honestly think it will be find and may help you through the first weeks of school which are stressful.However, on the other hand if you doing okay and can make it just wait for a bit, take it on a break from school.Either way I would relay your concerns to the doctor. The only way to know how it effects you personally is to take it and see what happens, but lots of people take this drug for IBS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts