Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering why we are told to drink lots of water if we suffer from IBS-D. I know we need to replenish the fuel lost through a D episode, but it almost seems to make my diarrhea worse. Am I correct in saying that when we have diarrhea, our aim is to have a normal, formed bowel movement? Do you not think that the more liquid we drink, the more watery our bowel movements become. It seems to be the case with me. I can't drink anything. My IBS-D is particularly bad today for some reason, I don't know why. I've been putting off taking immodium as I took 2 tablets on Sunday night, and I'm trying to limit myself to taking no more than 2 per week.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a reason to restrict Imodium that extremely. Takingla day or two off a week should be more than enough of a "drug holiday" if you are worried about some sort of build up or tolerance (and there isn't good evidence for tolerance other than IBS-D gets worse sometimes, but it does that whether you take medications or not)Usually they push water more on the IBS-C types (other than the replenish stuff).Your body adds water to what you eat and then pulls it out in the colon and if you are dehydrated your body pulls more and for constipated that makes the stool even harder and drier and harder to pass.Have you tried calcium carbonate if you refuse to take imodium (are you against any prescription medication for your IBS-D as well?) Is that natural enough? Some people just don't want to take any pills, including dietary supplements so that may not be something you want to do.If you really want to do this by diet alone, have you tried a low carb diet? Just do cooked veggies rather than raw, but some people find low carb will help control the diarrhea and a small study confirmed that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts