Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some of the back posts, and it really concerns me that so may of us seem to feel like we're "bad people" for having IBS and possibly causing some discomfort to others as a result. But the thing to remember is that we're obviously *not* doing these things on purpose, and shouldn't be blamed for the problems our IBS causes any more than a person with Tourette's should be blamed for twitching and yelling in public.This to me ties right back into the idea of IBS being psycosomatic, which I *absolutely* refuse to accept! We have an actual, physical disorder with, somewhere out there an actual cure, and the new meds coming out next year are a good step in that direction. If anyone's interested, I'd like to start a lobbying effort here (as they're doing on another IBS board) to get the word out on TV, magazines, newspapers, etc. to get the word out about IBS and the new treatments coming out. Anyone interested?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
jaya,True we are not bad people, but we are offensive people. Especially those of us with the odor problems. I agree the public needs to know that we do not choose to be like this and that so far, nothing much can be done about it.------------------ Don't make ME come down there!!. GOD

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Jaya, I know what you mean. Because no definitive cause of IBS has been identified, there seems to be a lurking suspicion in a lots of people's minds (including doctors) that it's all our fault, or we wouldn't have it if we were more mentally balanced. How many of us have heard "Just lighten up and it will all go away" or "The trouble is that your emotions go right to your intestines"? If you hear this often enough you feel confused, because HAVING IBS does make you anxious, so you start to wonder if maybe they're right. It's not bad enough to have a painful, embarrassing condition, you're made to feel guilty for having it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.