Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have actually gained weight with my IBS. I initially thought it was just bloating, but then I got on the scale. Has this happened to anyone else? It is so frustrating as I exercise 4-5 times a week and do loads of cardio. Also eat healthy. help!!

· Registered
279 Posts
Have you made any changes in your diet or exercise routine? It's possible that you may be gaining muscle mass if you consistently work out. Are your clothes fitting differently since you were diagnosed with IBS?I try to ignore the scale and get my body fat percentage assessed once every 3-6 months to keep things in check.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Also you can eat more calories than you burn off regardless of how "healthy" the diet is. Keep a journal of everything you eat for a few days and get the calorie content of your diet and see if you are eating the right amount for the activity level you have.I know sometimes it is easy to get in the mind set of I can eat what I want because I did a bunch of exercise and so not lose weight even when you think you should because of how much exercise you get. A friend of mine couldn't lose weight while he was training for a marathon because of the whole I just ran 10 miles I can pig out mentality that is easy to fall into.Also if your exercise is too much and your calorie intake is too low you can get into a situation where your body goes into hoard mode. You want to be just a couple of hundred calories under your needs to lose weight (no more than 500).www.practicalweightloss.com has some calculators to figure out what your calorie intake should be for your weight/age/activity level.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.