Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I know my clothes are getting tighter from the bloat of C, but I've been gaining fat around the middle on top of that, a lot of it, and I'm probably eating less and better than I ever have in my life--what gives????? is it possible that chronic C can mess up your metabolism? it makes sense I guess because your body's not functioning properly, not able to absorb nutrients as well so maybe not able to burn off fat as efficiently either?? I think I've gained maybe 20 lbs in the past two years (10 in the past 6 months), I've never put on weight like this--anyone else have this excess weight gain that seems like more than just bloat and C?? I try to walk a mile a few times a week when I'm feeling up to it so I am getting some exercise, but if anything if I'm eating normally and not overeating shouldn't I just stay the same weight??? (oh and had my thyroid tested like 3 times in the past couple of years and it's normal)

·
Registered
808 Posts
i have the fat around the middle too- I diet aND excersice everyday- I am losing weight but the tummy is hard to get rid of- Ive had ibs-c for 25 years now- wonder if there is a connection...????

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think constipation or IBS necessarily has anything to do with it, directly.Stress can effect fat location in the body and some people have a tendancy to what they call "metabolic syndrome" or "Syndrome X" and part of that tends to be that sooner or later they get fat around the middle or "apple-shaped" instead of gaining fat in a "pear-shaped" pattern. I know plenty of people of normal digestion that have this happen to them. It is very common and IBS is very common so you will have a lot of people with both just by chance.You might want to check how many calories you are really eating and compare that to what you really need at your exercise levels. If you are not as active as you used to be and eat the exact same amount of calories you will gain weight over time. A lot of people also seem to just have the metabolism slow down as they get older. People at 30 often have less muscle mass than people at 20 so you don't have to be that old to hit the eat the same start gaining weight thing. In my family that usually hits about 35 or so. You might want to keep an eye on cholesterol and blood sugar levels and watch your blood pressure as these are all things that go along with that tendency to gain weight in the middle.K.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I eat three small meals a day with healthy snacks in between (fruit, granola bar)--I used to eat twice as much at my normal weight (before the C issues started getting really bad)--I did ask the dr and she did say the age thing (I'm getting near 40 and she said that's when everything starts changing, blech!!)--yep I have had all that checked recently K, everything normal (always has been, never had a problem with any of them)--guess I'm just getting old...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, at 43 I can tell you that your metabolism slows. I finally lost some weight a few years back and have managed to keep 20lbs off. But I could still stand to lose another 15lbs.I don't feel old but I sure can't eat the same number of calories. It's also a good time to get a blood panel to see your numbers. My cholesterol is higher than it should be and I'm right around the pre-diabetic numbers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's so frustrating is that the blood tests always come back normal, docs can't find anything really wrong with me (except the C) and I'm not doing anything differently--not that I want them to find something wrong, just an explanation for this and some kind of answer, some direction--the past couple of days I started eating badly, people brought in cake to work and I had cake thu and fri, I haven't eaten cake or a baked good that wasn't whole grain and organic for as long as I can remember, and I actually ate half a white bagel today, I felt like I committed a mortal sin--I'm just starting not to care anymore, if I'm going to be fat and unhealthy if I'm eating right well then I might as well just be eating ####, what's the difference--I can't spend any more money on getting bigger clothes every couple of months because I keep gaining weight for no reason...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Whole grain and organic doesn't always translate to low calorie good for losing weight food.Your body needs good wholesome fuel no matter what weight you are so eating healthy most of the time makes more sense than just giving up and eating nothing but junk. However, we also need treats once in awhile. I did a low-fat cholesterol lowering diet thing with counseling for it and one of the things is you can't say "NEVER" about any food. That only causes the fall of the wagon and binge on it thing. Finding a way to incorporate small amounts of favorite treats one in awhile is key to maintaining any diet long term.K.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that K, I do eat low fat and low calorie foods (as well as whole grain and organic) I make myself very knowledgeable about nutrition, and quite honestly I like eating that way, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all--I do still have my favorite treats like dark chocolate, but even my favorite cookies and pop tarts are the natural ones--I wasn't being serious about giving up and just eating junk, I'd never do that, I'm sure I'd feel even worse, it just seems futile sometimes to really try so hard to take care of yourself when nothing you do seems to matter...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yeah, I know it can be hard. Keep at it, sooner or later you hit the right formula. There are places you can double check how many calories you really need, sometimes I know I can be eating well, but still more calories than I really need.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OMG! Me too! I went from a 00 to a 5/6 in less than 4 months. I've gained over 15 lbs. in that period of time and there have been no changes to my eating or exercising habits. During this time, my IBS has been at its worse so I 'assumed' it was connected but evidently not. I'm 46, 5ft. even, mother of 4 and have never ever weighed over 100 unless I was pregnant. I have a very small body build so I was by no means skin and bones. I'm now a pudge with a middle that looks as though I'm in my sixth month of pregnancy. Like me66, I'm having to buy new clothes every few weeks just to be able to go to work! I could cry because I did have a great wardrobe before...oh well! I also started a new med about the same time and wondered if it was actually the culprit. Does anyone know if that is a side effect of Cymbalta? I also have FM and the Cymbalta was prescriped by my Rheumetologist for the FM. It's good to know I'm not alone in either event!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sounds like me. I am 46. I quit smoking 18 onths ago and can see gaining maybe 10 pounds. BUT I have gained 30. I don;t eat that much either. I htinkn it is the mi life thing. I hate it. I have never been a heavy person and don;t like it now either.Hope we ALL loose it soon.Take careKat

·
Registered
72 Posts
i ate very little for so long and my ibs c has been terrible for years but if you look back through my pics of years and certain periods when i didnt have such bad symptoms you can see a dramatic difference in my weight and when i seen dieticians at the hospital they said the less i ate the bigger id get plenty of small meals starting early on in the day was the key and when i was pregnant i was the thinnest id been since i was about 18 and i was going to the loo 2 times a day most days and once every day and i ate more than id ever ate in my life and my baby wasnt big he was a teeny wee thing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I have been living with ibs for over 10 years now and am very bloated. I gained about 30 lbs in a month a couple of years ago and it all went right in my mid section.I really hate it and have a hard time losing the weight too. I had a total colectomy two years ago and am soo horribly bloated even after the surgery. I really wish i can get some help. None of my clothes fit anymore and i was so depressed

·
Registered
779 Posts
I weighed about 95 lbs until I was in my late 30's and then I started gaining weight. I am 61 and now weigh 140. I managed to lose 20 lbs a few years ago, but not for long.I figure at my age, I am going to enjoy the years I have left. There are enough foods that I have to avoid because of IBS. So, I eat what I want and darn the calories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.