Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if anyone out there has weight LOSS problems with IBS b/c I do. I'm 20 years old and only weigh 90 lbs. I can't eat much b/c of my IBS and I'm looking for a way to get over it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, I did/do. I'm okay at the moment (still slightly under my "proper" weight according to the doctor) but for the last 3 years I've weighed 58kg, sometimes less and was sent in for a colonoscopy cause no matter what I did I couldn't gain any. I hate to say it but what finally has put a bit on me was going on an antidepressant. Paxil put about 10kg on me total and now that I'm off it (but it's early days, only a week and a half) I haven't yet lost any of it. Other than that I used to eat like nothing else, all sorts of carby things trying to get my weight up but I had no luck. I guess you could try a protein powder (I have a naturally thin DH who drinks the stuff and it's put about 30kg on him combined with gym training). Just watch out for artificial sweeteners in them! Good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
yes. i lost a fair bit of weight, have put on a lil now but it's a major prob for me.i know it isn't a symptom of ibs, so does my dr, but they've given up testing for anything else desptie me having pretty much all the red flag symptoms! ach well!

·
Registered
289 Posts
My friend with Crohn's drinks Ensure for his liquids. It helps him put weight back on, plus he said it tastes good.I notice I start to feel sick after I've had about 2000 calories in a day (I just can't eat anymore!!!). Supposedly I need 2,500 calories just to maintain my weight. I probably eat 1500 a day.
gg_rain_03: You could also try working out more, that will help you put on weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me, the wake up about starting to understand my IBS-sympthoms was my weight. When all my friends gained some 'adult weight', my body still looks like a teen ager. I have always been slim, but always also wanted to gain a bit more - Hate those comments about my body, comments that we would never allow for an overweight person.I get stomach ache from eating, and never eat very big meals. Then there are some foods I avoid. And having D, I get the feeling that anything I eat just runs through.My solution is to eat as pure food as possible, not processed and to eat at least a lot of vitamins and minerals, although perhaps not enough calories.Then I also do excercise, not too much cause I am not doing it to burn fat, rather to build muscles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey 5700!I don't know if this would help you or not but I have a friend who is trying to gain weight as well. He eats regularly, however, after he comes back from the gym he makes a supplimental powder drink that's equivalent to 2700 calories just for the extra umph! It seems to be working for him quite well. It's pretty healthy too from what I know and it comes in all sorts of flavours.I can't remember what it's called but if you want me to find out I'll ask him. Though, I'm not sure if they'll have it in Sweden but you never know! In the meantime, hope all goes well for you!~*LoRie*~

G

·
Figure me this: I have been 97 lbs for the past two and a half years. I am 5' 1 1/2", and supposedly, my goal weight is 105 (i'd be happy with 102'ish). The past six months or so I was feeling really ill, and I'm generally tired of talking to doctors who never take me seriously, so even though you're not really supposed to do this without talking to a doctor, I decided to stop eating gluten for a while and see if anything changes. It's been six weeks now, and I've gained almost 2 lbs. I know for a normal person, that isn't much, but for me, it's a miracle. I think I'm going to go to the doctor when I crack 100, and tell them about it, and see if they'll re-evaluate me. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was quite young, and I don't think they were very thorough checking things out.Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
man, i have problem losing weight. i gained 50 pounds and cant take it off, even though i have ibs. i thought being overweight was also the reason why i have ibs. do you guys not eat much> pleae tell me...oh and by the way, i take lomotil like candy...so i eat everything i want

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know what you mean, for the last few years i have had IBs with D and I am now 5 feet tall and 88 pounds, oh and I'm 18 years old, my doctor says if I lose 2 more pounds, I'll have to have all these other tests in the hospital, all my clothes are too big and I feel awful all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost about 20 lbs due to the IBS, because i don't eat anything greasy, fattening, or dairy or anything. I can't usually eat more than 1000 calories a day even if i try, and if i do i end up in the bathroom all night and get dehydrated and wake up weighing less anyway. I think i'm down to about 110 right now, my lowest was like 107, and i'm a little over 5ft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've lost 50 lbs since I came down with IBS. ( Been 8 months.) I was Obese, so it's a good thing. I have eliminated fried foods, red meat, sodas, and most sweets... not sure it all helps because I still feel bad. Im happy with weight lose, but kinda scarred its getting to be to much.Watching the ScaleAL

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I first got IBS I lost a lot of weight. My friends and Mum thought I was anerexic. But now its a different story. My doctor has told me to eat regularly but small meals. I dont know what to eat so its mostly sweets and junk food which dont have much of an affect on my stomach. Now it is really difficult for me to loose weight. Im just getting fatter and felling more insecure about my body. I have too much of a busy life style to be able to o regular exercise appart from at school. Im scared that it wont stop and I will just get fatter. does anyone have any advice of a helpless young girl lol?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had IBS as long as I can remember. I've never been able to put on weight--even trying to use those protein drinks. All they did was make me feel bloated and ill. Right now I'm 6' and 140 lbs. I actually know some other people with IBS and they have the same problem--unable to put on weight. However, I've heard from several people on the boards (some of whom posted here) that they have the opposite problem--they can't seem to lose weight. Might be interesting to see if those who can't gain weight have something in common. I fluctuate between IBS-C/D. I wonder if the people who have IBS-C have trouble gaining weight (always feeling full or not hungry?).

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
hmmm weight well i used to be the original fat pig, but recently i have stopped eating ####, no cakes, ice cream, choc, chips, cookies. i have lost 1 stone and i must admit im doing well, ok so it is hard but if i had continued to gorge myself stupid id have ended massive.. i was just becoming a big fat lazy swine.. ive had to sit down and take a long hard look at myself and my life.. im glad ive made changes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to everyone who has IBS. I recently was labled a IBS paitent by my gastroenteroligist. I was serving a mission for my church when it all happened. Now i am at home and trying to get my IBS undercontrol. It seems that even if i cut out all of the triggers for ibs I still dont feel very well. Is there anything that I can do day by day to improve my symptoms? IBS-C sounds more like me but it can go back a forth if you know what I mean. BTW, I am a guy and it seems like there are not that many in this field. Thanks for helping me with this!Idris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.