Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have another question. I had mentioned to the doctor (because he had told me to try this--bad idea) that I had been doing slim fast, staying at 1400 calories everyday and taken Xenadrine EFX. After two and a half weeks of this was when my symptoms came back. He told me not to do it anymore and because he's not well versed on IBS that I should do some research on how I might be able to lose weight without discomfort. Has anyone lost weight by dieting with IBS and if so, how so?Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your situation sounds just like mine. I am trying to lose 10 lbs. off my belly. But as anyone with IBS/GERD knows, the slightest diet change can trigger problems. I have tried simply eating less and exercising my butt off, but have had little results. I am to the point now where I am eating very little and that causes my reflux to get worse.I am hoping someone here can recommend diet foods that are kind to those of us with sensitive systems. I would like to try Atkins but large amounts of meat often trigger an IBS attack. Are there other Atkins foods besides lots of meat? I am not much of a cook so I am hoping to find fruits/veggies, soups, or other things that are easy to prepare.Has anyone here with IBS/GERD tried diet pills? I consulted my doctor and she said that carb blockers are safe and effective. My concern is that they will irritate my system.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I can no longer remember the details, but Slim Fast contains aspartame and it seems to me there have been threads in the past on its negative effects on us. There are other similar products--more expensive, of course--that only use fructose and corn sweetners. I lost 15 pounds last summer and have started on another 10 this year with one of those. If you exercise and can eat chocolate, there is a fat burning exercise bar that my wife and I have also used. It decreases the lactic acid as well. I spoke with one woman who lost 40 pounds in the past year doing no more than eating one of those and walking every day.Cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
well I have lost 45 pounds (27 kilo) in the space of 18 months due to IBS . However when I have been on a diet before I found swimming helped ever so much , i used to swim 1 hour every single day and it helped me to lose weight aswell as helping my IBS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies--I am just very overweight and the doctor said I needed to lose weight and I always thought with IBS you did...I just seem to swell up. Oh well...I have managed to maintain my weight for a year--not a good weight but at least it didn't go up. I'll have to figure something out.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS typically doesn't cause a change in weight independant of diet. Some other GI diseases will cause you to lose weight even when you eat more than enough food.I've had fairly good luck with the "olde Mottus family diet" But it isn't always easy for people to follow, and most people prefer one of the various diets/pills/gimics, etc. However, it has been shown in my family to work well if you can follow it, and I think it can be really applicable to IBSers who often have problems with food intolerances/dietary supplement sensitivities that cause symptoms with the various diets/pills/gimics, etc.Here goes.Eat the same foods you always eat.Put only 2/3 of the portion you normally eat on your plate.When your plate is clean you do not eat anything else until the next time you usually eat, then you eat 2/3 of that normal meal/snack, etc.This way you maintain the diet that works well for your IBS and cut the calories you consume. If you can also increase exercise that will make this work even better.I've lost about 20 pounds so far this year using this.I also take the vitamins that are in the LEVITY program which helps with energy levels and mood. This is LightExerciseVitamins.So 20 minutes of brisk walking in natural light (either outside or with a full spectrum light inside)B-50 supplement, 200 mgs Selenium and 400 mgs Vitamin D.They did a study with depressed people using this program and got good results with mood, AND many of them also lost weight. Most people found it an easy treatment plan to stick with.K.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My daily diet as of now goes like this:Weekdays: two peanut butter sandwiches for lunch, tortilla/lettuce wrap for dinner, a few small cookies or graham crackers in between.Weekends: bowl of soup or a soft pretzel for lunch, plate of spaghetti for dinner one night and we eat out for a treat the other night.I feel like I am not eating anything. I was walking about 90 minutes per day, now I am walking about 30 minutes due to lack of time. My thyroid was tested and that checked out fine. I am not really overweight, just about 10 extra pounds in my midsection that won't go away.Does anyone know if IBS or GERD can hinder weight loss or encourage weight gain? As in it messes up your digestive system to the point where weight loss is extremely difficult? It's good to hear some of you have had success so that is encouraging, I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have lost five pounds in the past three weeks by following the diet detailed in the book "Eating for IBS" and it's corresponding Web site: www.eatingforibs.com.I also journal my foods on a Web site called: www.fitday.comI'm not a nutrition expert, but if you are overweight and are trying to lose weight, 1400 calories may (surprisingly) be too low for you. Do a google search for a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculator. You enter in your weight, age, height, sex and it calculates your daily caloric needs to lose pounds. Your BMR is the number of calories needed to maintain normal body functions. If you did nothing all day, this is the number of calories that your body will burn. Overweight people have a higher BMR, because it takes more energy (calories) to run the body. This is a good calculator: http://www.global-fitness.com/bmr.html?GHF...69c27079e4b76f1 For example, I'm 25yo, female, 5'6, 135 pounds. My BMR is 1400 calories per day. If I did nothing all day, and ate 1400 calories per day, I would maintain my weight at 135 pounds. Now, factor in all daily activities, such as sleeping (which actually burns 15 percent more calories than watching TV), walking around, driving, cleaning, typing at a computer, etc. You burn calories doing all of those activities. If you exercise, you burn even more. 3500 calories = One pound. If you reduce your daily caloric intake of, say, 500 calories (either through exercise or food restriction) per day for seven days, 500 x 7 = 3500 calories, which equals one pound of weight loss per week. So, to lose, this is what you need to do:1. Figure out your BMR2. Figure out how many calories you burn on average per day. 3. Reduce your caloric intake or exercise away 500 cals a dayRememer, your BMR will be higher at a higher weight. As you lose weight, your BMR will come down. Hope this helps, and hope that I didn't thread-jack this post!! ~julie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh! Forgot to add: From my personal experience, I have found that a hi-protein, lo-carb diet just isn't conducive to my condition (IBS-C). Diets high in fat are horrible for IBSers and others with GI problems. I stick to a diet with soy protein, complex carbs and lots of soluable fiber. Please take a look through this Web site: www.eatingforibs.com. It's turned my life around.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Strangly, before I started Atkins I couldn't eat any veggies without symptoms. After I started Atkins I added a sald every day, and now I can eat most veggies. I have lost 35 pounds and feel a lot better. For the last week i haven't followed Atkins, getting ready for testing, and I feel like poopoo again. Bloated, sick, and sore.Laurie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.