Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three years of pain and constipation, I was diagnosed with IBS last summer. Then, suddenly I went from constipation to the other end of the spectrum. (ha) I lost more than 20 pounds in just a couple of months.Things evened out by Christmas, and I was feeling better. Then, this spring, I started having constipation again, and I have gained 15 pounds in less than three months. It is really discouraging!I want to lose the weight and end the constipation. My doctor will not give me zelnorm because of my history of diahrrea. I tried hyoscyamine, but it made the constipation worse. Fiber makes it worse as well; I was in horrible pain after following the doctor's suggestion of a fiber pill regimen. I've started walking 2-3 miles a day to try to get the weight off, and was hoping it would help constipation, too, but so far just have bad cramping during my walks. I keep walking, though!I'm new here. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You may have already heard and/or tried all the regimens, but I don't think fiber pills and supplements alone are always the answer. I think most fiber supplements and pills are soluble fiber. Also, I think the liquids (Citrucel, Benefiber, Konsyl) may prove to be more beneficial than the pills. Just getting fiber from food, while challenging, may be beneficial for you. You may need some insoluble fiber too, which is found in corn, rice bran, wheat bran, fruit skins, and vegetable skins. Nutritionists recommend both types be consumed daily with a good 8 oz. or more of water. (I assume you do get at least 8 cups of water a day.) Some people do better with mostly insoluble, some prefer soluble, some do better with a mix, and there are many who feel better with a low-fiber diet. Also, fiber can take a LONG time to work. You need to try it several days or weeks to notice any positive changes. Also, I think fiber works best when consumed all at once rather than spread out over the day.Unfortunately, all of us have to try a lot of different things since everyone responds so differently. Hopefully, you'll find more suggestions of things to try as you read the boards.Anyway, welcome to the boards!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
im fatter now than i ever have been, even after i had my kids the size 10 jeans were straight on god i squeeze myself into a size 12 now

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a general question from me on the end of this post... can constipation cause weight gain?!?!I ask this because I have always insisted to my GP that my uncontrollable weight fluctuation (I move between the same three sizes constantly for years) is not down to what I eat. I recently have been asking people if you can gain weight due to constipation and all say no... hearing someone on here say it causes them weight gain too is a relief! I just wanted to double check because my weight is a real problem to me and my confidence.??

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
my confidence in myself has dramatically went from 100% to 0% before i had ibs i could literally eat anything and didnt put on too much weight, now thats not the case.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never was overweight. Now that IBS is part of my life, I weigh about 20 lbs more than I would normally. I don't eat very much. Food is not appealing. My abdomen is the size of a 4 month pregnancy & it's as if my lower body has added lbs so it can support my distended abdomen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My bloating and constipation affects the way my clothing fits, yet my weight really hasn't changed much over the years. It's really disheartening to me that the scale says one thing, and my clothes say quite another.Mine could in part be "middle-aged spread", I guess, as I'm 50. I also think part of my situation is that I'm not nearly as physically active so the weight I have is moving around..... and it's all settling in my waist, darn it!

G

·
Jools - shame on you - I'm lucky to struggle into a dear old size 14 and I weighted 7 1/2 stones at my wedding!!! Mine all piled on when I had my wee one at 37 - have never been able to shed the weight. My latest probbo seems to be aching buttocks and I cannot figure out why - like a muscle ache like you've done a 10 mile hike - really wierd. What would my GP make of that b***er all probably!!Sue

·
Registered
143 Posts
Weight loss/gain must just depend on personal factors. I have lost 10 pounds with IBS-C -- mostly because when I haven't pooped for 3 days, I feel so miserable and FULL that I can't eat -- there's nowhere for the food to go, you know? My appetite has severely decreased since I got IBS, which saddens me because I LOVE to eat, and I really can't even go to restaurants anymore because I can't eat their huge portions. Some of my friends say "stop complaining, losing 10 pounds is a dream," but really, it just makes me feel sickly, and it's scary that I have no control over it. Plus, as a poor grad student, I don't have money to buy many smaller pants -- and I lost a bra size too (34A now -- welcome back to high school Paula! yikes). It's also weird to be looking thinner everywhere except for my bloated stomach -- many days I look pregnant as well. That does not make it fun to wear summer clothes and swimsuits!So anyway. BethAnne, good luck. Make sure to vent here often -- people who don't have C don't realize how miserable it can make you! Plus, it's embarassing to talk to about. Definitely do the walking every day -- it will help with constipation as well as weight. Even mild exercise like yoga, when done regularly, made a difference in mine. Also, have you tried the food restriction diet? You may be lactose intolerant, allergic to wheat, something like that. It sucks to do the diet, but you might as well try it, it makes a huge difference in some people!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Being male, I can't blame my weight gain on having children, but I thought I would "weigh in" here on the conversation just to say that regardless of what my Dr's have told me over the years, My IBS definaltey has an impact on my weight. I alternate IBS C / D and often will fluctuate 5 lbs in a week. When I am constipated for 3 - 5 days, I also eat more because I think that will trigger a bm,, and it does, just not always when its convienent. Beth Anne, Hang in there and keep up the exercise, it will help your general health if nothing else. The other thing that I have had recent success with is Massage Therapy. It was fluke, went for my back after a car accident and got a real bonus side effect of improving my IBS. Neither my therapist or Doctor were surprised as it does relax your muscles.. It is expensive though if you are not insured. Luckily I am. Take care and keep on the board ,, There are lots of useful tips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts