Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Sept I have had one flare up after another..lost almost 10 lbs and look like hell...it seems just i get to eating and gaining a couple lbs back i get another bad IBS diarehha flare and lose that and more>>>>>nomore drs for me I had it with all of them>>>i do fear i have cancer although i donot want to know about it as I would never get cheme or radiation..just want meds for pain and fade away i am 66....has anyone else noticed a lotof weight loss with ibs....i can lose 5 lns or more ina day when i get bad D. i feel so alone in this awful disease

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
The usual cause for IBS sufferers' weightloss is undereating. If you are getting enough calories a day.... and still experiencing weightloss.. you should indeed go back to the Dr because weightloss is not a symptom if IBS. YET.. MANY IBS'ers undereat.... & that causes weightloss .. and the simple fix is to eat more. I know I used to avoid food so I would have less D too.. but then ya know what?? I figured I have D whether I eat or eat enough or not.. so??? I might as well eat! So try eating more Knot.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Weight can vary as much as five pounds in a day from how much water you are carrying around. So you probaby don't lose 5 pounds of fat or lean muscle mass in a day, just have a big drop in your water balance.If you consistently lose weight even if you are eating more than enough calories to maintain your weight you need to talk to the doctor.Cancer is not the only reason and I wouldn't want you to go blind from diabetes or lose your feet because you didn't want treatment for a disease you do not have. The older you get the more likely you are to have blood sugar control issues or other metabolic problems that can be treated. That being said, if you don't eat when you have diarrhea to either control symptoms or you just don't like to eat when you feel bad that can easily cause weight loss. Nothing about IBS will prevent weight loss from not eating enough food.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes how true even though when you have weight loss the first thing you think of is cancer>>> I do not eat if i have an appt..like now i am going though getting dentures..a lot of anxiety fear and a lot of appts! but when i come home i eat everything in sight...then get D from too much food. thank you for your ideas they make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Knot I know from experience that just the dental work alone (Without IBS!) is enough to have you eating a bit less sometimes... so I wouldn't worry too much about the weightloss right now til your dental work is complete. I know when I was having severe dental issues... I would not eat as much because my mouth hurt. It hurt to chew etc... so I lost a few pounds too. After everything healed I gained it back and you might find that as well.Take your meals .. lite ones more often maybe and take imodium etc to get to your appointments. Stock up on softer foods too so they are easier for you to get down. I make my own chicken salad with a micro chopper to basically mince up the meat and I use cucumbers chopped up for the moisture as my gut just doesn't "do" mayonaise. You can amke up some other lean protein salads too. If you don't have a micro chopper.. you can try hand chopping or use a few pulses on a blender.I sure hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since Sept I have had one flare up after another..lost almost 10 lbs and look like hell...it seems just i get to eating and gaining a couple lbs back i get another bad IBS diarehha flare and lose that and more>>>>>nomore drs for me I had it with all of them>>>i do fear i have cancer although i donot want to know about it as I would never get cheme or radiation..just want meds for pain and fade away i am 66....has anyone else noticed a lotof weight loss with ibs....i can lose 5 lns or more ina day when i get bad D. i feel so alone in this awful disease
the reason for the weight loss, is that when ur food is just about going thru ur body as fast as u can eat it, u don't get the nutrients u need to maintain lean muscle mass & then to survive, ur body breaks down that same lean to maintain the parts that r absolutely necessary for life...........so it's cannibalizing it's self.........this is a very bad situation, cause eventually u end up so weak & sick from malnutrition, that u r on ur way to the grave.........i've been there........have u tried tryptophan & or 5HTP for ur ibs-d??.........how about iron??.........when the intestines r in bad shape, u can't get the iron, into ur system from the foods u eat, to stop anemia........my anemia was always listed as just ok.........but when i started taking it, i did feel better & it did help the D..........even tho, when they did the lab work again, it had only gone up a couple of points.........so i guess i needed it........another thing, with inflamed intestines, they become hyper sensitive & swollen, causing minute bleeding, even without blood in the stool..........those 3 things helped me alot...........they weren't the whole problem, but it helped with the D & gave me a break front such constant D, that i was able to absorb more nutrients.........i believe ibs-d is a symptoms of other things, not the other way around..........there r many things that can cause it & if we treat only the intestinal issue, we will never get a handle on it...........hope this helps...................chris............

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS does not cause diarrhea severe enough to lose weight. A few things do, but they are NOT IBS.If you are losing more weight than your calorie restriction indicates you should then you need to get evaluated for the NOT IBS things.Do not assume your IBS diarrhea is causing you to lose weight. People who have their colon completely removed do not lose weight other than based on what they eat so it doesn't matter if your food spends 3 minutes in the colon or 3 days, and IBS doesn't change how long it takes to get to the colon or how the small intestine functions. The fact that IBS does NOT effect those things is why unexplainable weight loss is a red flag symptom and a very red flag. Some red flag symptoms are just more common in other things but this one is a shouldn't happen to IBSers.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Chris
the reason for the weight loss, is that when ur food is just about going thru ur body as fast as u can eat it, u don't get the nutrients u need to maintain lean muscle mass & then to survive, ur body breaks down that same lean to maintain the parts that r absolutely necessary for life...........so it's cannibalizing it's self.........
This is an absolutely false statement about IBS. This is NOT so in IBS. And stating this is so on an IBS BB is NOT helpful or appreciated. You continually state things in your posts without backing them up at all. This is NOT good information about IBS or anything else... without sources being cited. So please tell us WHERE, via a link, that you got the info above about IBS.Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Knot-sounds as if you are on a really down at the moment and I'm sorry you're feeling that way. Although I absoultely agree with Kathleen that diarrhoea doesn't or shouldn't cause a lot of wt loss -I do find that my wt tends to yo-yo by around 3/4 stone. I'm only about 7.5 stone anyway so that makes a big difference on me. If I'm in a bad way then I tend not to eat so much and that is the most likely cause of my wt loss. When I feel better then my confidence increases and I tend to eat more. I've had some tricky dental appts in the last year and just this week switched to a new dentist. I actually told him about my problems -well -not in great detail but nevertheless this was a big step forward for me on advice from this board. The dentist only had to look at me to know I was terrified-I didn't tell him exactly why I looked so terrified but since then I've been to my GP and now have some beta blockers and valium to try and hopefully they will get me through my next few appts. Please don't give up-I know i often feel like it but there are always some good days -often when you least expect them. Hang on in there and let us try to support you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had IBS for about 4 years now. Recently it's been a lot worse. I have also found that I have lost about half a stone as it has been worse.Sometimes my transit time is literally 2-3 hrs and I find it hard to understand how I could be getting all the right nutrients with such a fast transit time.I really don't know what else to put my weight loss down too as I feel my appetite has not changed. If anything, I eat more than I used to.I told the doctor and he is still convinced I have IBS and nothing else.......plus I have had all the usual tests including a colonoscopy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts