Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the BB, though not to IBS. Here's my question. When I read about the symptoms of IBS versus other diagnoses, it always says IBS is not associated with weight loss. I've had IBS for about 10 years, and I can tell you, during my episodes, which may last a few months, I lose major weight (at least 8-10 pounds). Does this happen for other people? I do cut way back on what I eat, to avoid the "D". Should I just go ahead and eat more, and just use more Imodium, or do other people find they lose weight, too? I really need two sets of sizes of clothes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't panic!! My first major episode of IBS I lost 40lbs in 5 weeks, they put me in the hospital, ran every test even to ct-scan, and found nothing but NERVES and IBS!!!! I loose weight when I'm having episodes all the time....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Same thing with me---lost 20lbs. in 4 days, another 20 lbs. the next month. Did all the tests, came back with IBS--my family thought I had cancer or something. My doc said it wasn't the IBS, it was that I refused to eat since everytime I did I had a D attack. I finally got back on an even keel and my weight has been pretty steady for the last year or two.

G

·
Yes, I lost weight too. I guess about 25 pounds in 3 months. The weight is not due to IBS but the anxiety, nerves, and drastic diet change that comes along with having IBS. I had blood tests, GI work, and nothing found. My weight has now been stable for the past 4 months. Wish I could soem back though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This isinteresting.... I have the opposite problem. I think it has to do with individual metabolism.When I have a prolonged period of D, I actually gain weight. I think my body says "Hey, were losing a bunch of fluid here!" and retains water. Then, when my D clears up, I lose the water weight gain. I can go up and down 4 to 5 pounds within 24 hours.There is so much individual variation with this disease, and so many feedback mechanisms within our bodies that we don't know about.Keeps life intersting!

G

·
What made me go for the colonoscopy and "official diagnosis" was weight loss. I lost between 20-30lbs and was sure I had cancer. I had IBS long before that but it seemed to peak when my son was about 3. I had trouble gaining weight when I was pregnant, only could manage 17 lbs, Peter was 3 weeks early and 5lbs3oz. Whatever I ate came back almost immediately to the point where I didnt want to eat anything. I gained back that weight ( a long, slow process) but during a real bad flareup of D, I can loose weight again. I feel like my bowel is sometimes just packed with you know what, somedays I go and go so much(not D-hoselike huge stools) that I feel that I must have dropped 10 lbs! but definately a dress size. After a bad bout of D or even just before it I notice that I am sort of puffy feeling, my wedding ring gets tight and my ankles feel alittle swollen. I guess I just noticed it in the last year or so, I am getting older and am perimenopasual(isn't life grand? LOL)so I always thought it was that. My gyn told me a month ago that all my wonderful PMS symptoms (which IBS is one of)will probably get even more intense as I approach menopause. What a life.------------------Nancy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.