Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always had problems with my stomach in one form or another, but was just diagnosed with IBS last Fall after having urgency and D symptoms for about a year. About six months after having IBS symptoms increase, I experienced a 30 pound weight loss. I was working out at the time and eating better (I had cut out most fats), so I have assumed that the weight loss was my own doing. I noted, though, that IBS symptoms + weight loss may indicate other things going on and is one sign that the person may not have IBS. What could the person have, then? Should I aggresively pursue this with my doctor? or just chalk it up to good diet and exercise weight loss?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Backfire, weight loss is an "alarm or red flag" symptom, if its unrelated to how much you eat because a person has IBS, if they are losing weight because there not eating, because the act of eating causes pain, then people don't eat and then they lose weight.If they are eating right and losing weight, you should see a doctor about this.So yes it might be a good idea to review this with your doctor.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the Doc you are going to see is a GP, I would suggest maybe seeing a GI Doctor...I was alway leary of a IBS diagnosis because I think the only way IBS can be diagnosed is after everything else is ruled out....best of luck..

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My doc is a GP with a specialty in GI. So, I think I have it covered. My problem with my doctor is that he is always in such a hurry -- he takes almost all insurances, and as a result is a slave time-wise to the insurance companies. I'm thinking of dropping him because its so hard to get a hold of him.We'll see what he says next. He has helped, though. Since I've been on the Levsin and Citrucel, things are better. I can't wait for the time when I can actually go a week without D or urgency, though. I do remember can't waiting for the day I could go without them, so I know I've improved a bit. Managing IBS symptoms is such a rollercoaster. One day, I'm happy I made it through the day without problems. I'll be bouncing off the walls. The next day, I'll have problems, and it is so frustrating. I try to link it up with food, but I'm not quite sure anymore that it matches up exactly. Some days I eat everything I should and still have problems. Others, I eat something I shouldn't and am okay. I also try to link it up to stress, but that doesn't always make sense either. I'm running out of links.I'm still hoping that at some trip to the doctor, he'll realize that I have something else all of a sudden and give me a magic pill that clears it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.