Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I asked this at another board, but I thought it might be helpful to ask it here, too.)I can't figure out what's going on with my body.A little background:At Christmas, I had some pain in the lower, left side of my pelvis. I attibuted it to PMS, as it was about a week before my period. It was pretty bad pain, but Tylenol helped some.This past Sunday morning, about 4 or 5 AM, I awoke with pain all along the lower part of my pelvis. It was really low - like almost in the groin area. It was so, so bad - I wondered if I needed to go to the ER or something. I finally got up, went to the bathroom, and then took 3 Motrin. I didn't think the Motrin would work, but I gave it a shot. I swear the next 10 minutes were something like this in my head, "The Motrin's not going to work, it hurts so bad. It's not going to work. It's not going to work. It's not going to...OH! It worked!" I mean, the pain went away that quickly! And, I went back to bed and slept peacefully.Monday morning, I awoke at 4 AM with the same pain. A bit lessened, but in the same location. Took 2 Motrin. Went away.I had a GI doctor's appointment Monday anyway, so I mentioned the pain to him. He felt around and didn't find anything unusual, but said that it could be the colon. I do have irritable bowel syndrome, and he said it could be that. A reasonable thing, I'll admit. Said it could be related to PMS (again, I'm about a week away). But, said to start taking my Donnatal again and see if that helped.So, I took 2 Donnatal that night before I went to bed.Yesterday morning, 4 AM, YES! You guessed it! The pain again! This time, I went to the bathroom and decided to see if I could relax a bit and see if that helped (the pain wasn't quite so bad, so I thought I'd give it a shot before taking anything). I did relax, turned on the radio and tried to get some more sleep.I'm baffled by this weird pain that I'm getting at 4 AM every day! This is so weird! And, it's affecting my sleep, needless to say - I can't keep waking up at 4; I need some rest. Plus, it makes me scared to go to sleep at night.This morning, I awoke about 5:30. Not really pain, but some twinges. Maybe I was just scared of the pain and was anticipating it - who knows. I did go ahead and take some Motrin, just in case.Any ideas on what could be happening? If it were something really serious (endometriosis, cysts, something dire), it would hurt more than at 4 AM, right? (I have a some tenderness in the area right now, but not that severe pain). Could it be related to the colon? Could it be just weird PMS - are my hormones doing something weird?Could it still be the IBS doing something weird? Why would it happen primarily in the early morning hours? What can I do to prevent it from happening? I want to sleep peacefully and not wake up with this pain every morning. And, I don't want to go to bed scared that I'm going to wake up in pain.If it were diverticulosis, I'd know that, wouldn't I? Or, could it be that? What kinds of symptoms does that cause? I do have diarrhea from the IBS.Help! Give me some ideas on what could be happening! Do I need to panic, yet?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh! I just saw the Night Symptoms thread! So, could this be it, then? (Can I say one more time - as if I haven't said it enough here - that I just love you people?! It's so wonderful to come here and find that my symptoms are not mine alone and that I can talk to someone here who understands!)The severe pain was really, really low in the abdomen - like almost in the groin area. Is that what y'all find as well?I've also been feeling kind of nauseated lately. That tends to make me think it might be the colon acting up as well. Something's going on with my body. I didn't think I was under this much stress to bring something like this on, but maybe I am???Ok, so what can we do to eliminate the pain at night? HELP! I need to sleep!!!(It's not diverticulosis, though, right? Reassure me on this. I'm scared that it could be.)

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah Darren I had a friend with that as well. Another thing I was thinking was a bladder spasm. I have had those a few times and usually at the time you mentioned. Pain comes on like a tornado and vanished within a half hour or so, but during it... YOW!!!
Maybe ask for a urine culture and analysis??Hope ya feel better.BQ

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar pains and woke up every morning around 4:00 too...usually I couldn't go back to bed afterwards. I started taking donnatel but it caused A LOT of nausea for me, so that could be where your nausea is coming from. Once I went on Zelnorm the pain and nausea were taken care of though. I hope that you feel better soon!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several responses to y'all's posts (THANKS, by the way!
)I had my second kidney stone in January (my first was 2 years ago). Sidenote: PLEASE be sure you're drinking lots of water during the day! You do NOT want to "enjoy" the ER at 3AM like I did!We're not sure what's causing the stones, but I did do another 24 hour urine test last week to see if we can figure something out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch either of the stones. And, an IVP didn't show it as being in there anymore.But, I wonder if, since I never caught the stone, it "hid" from the IVP and that might be what that pain was a few days ago. I hadn't thought of that, but you could be right; maybe the stone had worked its way into the bladder and finally decided to go. That's a possibility.And, a bladder spasm, hmmmm? Exactly where is the bladder? Is it pretty low in the body? That's a possibility, too. What can cause those?Strangely enough, I never had nausea with my Donnotal. But, last night, about 15 minutes after taking it, I was feeling sick to my stomach. It lasted about 30 minutes. Granted, it could also have been that I hadn't eaten yet. So, when I put something into my stomach, it might have settled things down some. But, it was a weird sensation when it's never affected me like that before.Good news! Aside from waking up at 3AM to urinate (I'm telling you! I drink a lot of water now after that stone!
), I didn't wake up with the pain! I was so, so happy about that. Now, if I stop drinking water a couple of hours before I go to bed, maybe I'll actually have a decent night's sleep for a change!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts