Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,For three months, I've had ongoing stomach discomfort, bloating, gas pressure, constipation, and this strange hiccup/burp. I've been tested for Celiac disease (came back negative), lactose intolerance (not intolerant), had an ultrasound on my gallbladder (nothing wrong). So I suppose since the doctors I've seen have thrown their hands up and dismissed my annoying symptoms as not life-threatening, I'm stuck with a lame diagnosis of "Irritable Bowel Syndrome." (I wasn't even diagnosed with that, the doctors said it could be a possibility I have it but none outrightly said that was what I have.)I'm taking probiotics for the stomach pain and constipation, so that seems to be doing a little better. I've also increased my fiber and water intake to help matters.BUT. The one thing that is bothering me more than anything is this annoying hiccup/burp that occurs daily, throughout the day, and is at its worst right after I've had something to eat. It doesn't matter what it is. Usually it's just one or two at a time, but I've also gotten hiccups more often now than I ever did a few months ago. Also, if I've been sitting down for awhile, I don't burp. But if I have any disruption or disturbance in my abdomen (if I move the slightest bit), or get up and begin to walk around, I begin to burp and I can't stand it. It's embarrassing. Sometimes some liquid rushes up my esophagus, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't have any chest pain or heartburn to accompany this.Can someone please tell me what I can do to stop this annoying burping? And please don't say "It's aerophagia, you're probably just swallowing too much air." I've consciously made an effort NOT to swallow air.Thank you. :(Laura

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Even without the heartburn that liquid rushing concerns me.Have they ever done a look-see up top with the camera down the throat? May be worthwhile, They can see if you have a hiatal hernia (a lot of people are just born with them and after a while they will start causing symptoms) or anything else going on that may be a factor.http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiatal_hern...rnia%20Symptoms has hiccups on the list of symptoms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathleen, thank you for your reply.I reviewed all the pages regarding a hiatal hernia, and some of the causes made sense. My posture isn't perfect, but it isn't like I'm so slouched that my head is hitting my knees. I'm not sure if age is a factor, but I am only 20 years old, so I'm not sure how much damage could be done by now because I am not that old. As for the other symptoms, I don't have any chest pain/pressure, heartburn, difficulty swallowing, or coughing, just burping and hiccups with occasional reflux. Could you recommend an over the counter medication that you think could help? Awhile ago I tried Gas-x and Prevacid, and neither worked.Thanks again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the drugs are the same acid drugs as for GERD as that tends to be the most medically relevant symptom (unfortunately the discomfort won't kill you, but cancer from an eroded esophagus if you are one of the unlucky ones will).http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiatal-he...ments-and-drugs has the drugs and treatment list.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiatal-he...d-home-remedies has the lifestyle changes.Mostly eat smaller meals, don't eat before bedtime, and sometimes raising the head of the bed helps. While that is mostly for acid gravity helps keep the stomach where it should be and when you lie down you lose that, so elevating the head of the bed may help keep it in place.If it is bad enough and causing enough symptoms they will do surgery to fix it. It is one of those weird things that some people are never bothered by it, and other people get a lot of symptoms from it. They can do the surgery, but don't do it unless you are getting too many symptoms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I think of it, I have pretty bad posture. Especially before bed, when I slouch on my bed with my laptop on my lap. Last night, I made an effort not to sit that way, and today I have tried to sit up straight and stand up straight, and it has helped a little bit. Also, if I don't think about it constantly, it doesn't seem as bad. Could some of this be psychological? And since it seems better today, if I continue to have a better posture, will this go away completely eventually?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue! I haven't been tested for intolerances yet, and I do think I might be lactose intolerant, but I have the hiccup/burps too. For me it's worst after sitting or laying down, then getting up. I honestly think a big part of it is mental. I think this because when they were at their worst, I was nervous about them and was also dead set focused on them. When I don't think about them, I don't seem to have them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the same issue! I haven't been tested for intolerances yet, and I do think I might be lactose intolerant, but I have the hiccup/burps too. For me it's worst after sitting or laying down, then getting up. I honestly think a big part of it is mental. I think this because when they were at their worst, I was nervous about them and was also dead set focused on them. When I don't think about them, I don't seem to have them.
Hi,Can I ask what make of probiotic you take please.Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,Can I ask what make of probiotic you take please.Thank you
None, yet. I do intend to. Now I'm hearing a lot of stomach gurgling, which is certainly a new symptom (especially when lying down). I never had issues with acid before, but now I think I am. I really wish I had insurance.
I wish I could just go to the doctor and get looked at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.