Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in 2 years, I'm experiencing pain under my rib cage, about 2inches down from my breast. It started on one side friday morning but today it's both side. I've had a little crisis on friday so I was wandering if it was related to IBS or if it was something else like random organs hurting or muscles?I have an appointment on the 20th but it's worrying me a bit.Anyone experienced this? If yes, how come there's pain in that area? It's not like there was bowels under rib cage, right?Thanks,Yukie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The bend on the left and right where the colon goes across just under the diaphram are UNDER THE RIBS on both the left and the right.it is not true that your intestines are only in the lower 1/3 of the abdomen. The colon goes around the outside so hits all four quadrants including under the ribs on the left and the right. Those bends under the ribs are VERY, VERY, did I mention very.
common locations for pain.The pain on the left under the ribs is so common it sometimes even gets its own name (splenic flexure syndrome).That is not an rare or weird pain no IBSer every feels, it is a common pain location.That being said.Brand new pains in new locations may be worth checking out with your doctor. Just because many IBSers have pain in one or both of the upper parts of the abdomen doesn't mean your pain (if new) is just the IBS. Especially if you never had any pain up there when you were getting your diagnosis. It probably is the IBS, but it may not be.Now someitmes you can pull muscles in the rib cage (which hurts like the dickens, I've done that) or get inflammation in the joints of the ribcage (I've had that too, but it is more common to be central rather than on the sides but it can be anywhere in the ribcage) and that also hurts a lot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen for reassuring me. I talk to my GP about it when I'll see next week. I think it's IBS related because I woke up with this pain and got sick like 1h30 later. I have found that taking Benefibre helped me a lot. I still have cramps but not that severe and it's easier to go the bathroom. I neglected that for the past week and i think it didn't help. I have find weird though, is that every time I get a flare up (usually every 2 months) some symptoms disappear and others are new. In the first year it was always the same symptoms but now it seems to be changing every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.